Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which calculator to get?

Tags:
  1. Nov 26, 2013 #1
    Hello physics community,
    I am about to start my university studies and I am wondering which calculator to buy, a: TI-Nspire CX graphing calculator, Casio fX-CG20 graphing calculator or an HP 75mhz, 2300 functor, 3-1/5"x7-1/5"x9/10" graphing calculator.
    I simply want the best of the best, the one that has got better processor and higher versatility for resolving complex problems.
    May you please suggest?
    Thankyou!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2013 #2
    By the way, all of the previous are top of the line for each brand.

4. Nov 27, 2013 #3
    I dont think you'll need an NSpire.
    I use an 89 and it's done everything I've ever needed it to (taking Electrical Engineering)

Keep in mind that for most university course you will not be allowed to bring graphing calculators into exams

5. Nov 27, 2013 #4
    alright so i will change the question up a bit.
    which one of them two is better?
    thankyou anyhow!

6. Nov 27, 2013 #5
    anyone?

7. Nov 29, 2013 #6

turbo

Gold Member

I'll bump this for you and for all students with similar questions. Have you even considered an older, non-graphing calculator like the HP 15C? Very capable machines, and without the graphing capabilities, you might be able to use it in all your courses.

8. Feb 17, 2015 #7

CalcNerd

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

For Physics:
    Graphing: Ti-89 for the quick and easy choice. You can't go wrong.
    Hp 50G for more functions and features, if you use in RPN mode, not really that great in algebraic mode.

A good math package as an app or software for a laptop. There are several low cost to free options. Then buy a good pocket calculator for exams or general homework.
    Suggestions:
    Hp 35s (programmable, pretty much only reason, has 32 K ram and is OS selectable RPN or algebraic (EOS)).
    Ti-36x pro
    Casio fx 115ES
    in that order. There are other good pocket calculators, I name the three above as they are also allowed on the NCEES EIT or PE exams.

You might look at an Hp Prime, but it is more than you would need.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook