Which calculator is best for solving complex physics problems?

In summary, the conversation discussed the best calculator to buy for university studies, with the options being the TI-Nspire CX, Casio fX-CG20, and HP 75mhz. The group suggested the TI-89 or HP 50G for graphing, and a good math package for a laptop, such as Hp 35s, Ti-36x pro, or Casio fx 115ES. They also mentioned the option of an older, non-graphing calculator like the HP 15C. The group recommended considering the rules for using calculators in exams and suggested the HP Prime as a more advanced option.
ecpietscheck
Hello physics community,
I am about to start my university studies and I am wondering which calculator to buy, a: TI-Nspire CX graphing calculator, Casio fX-CG20 graphing calculator or an HP 75mhz, 2300 functor, 3-1/5"x7-1/5"x9/10" graphing calculator.
I simply want the best of the best, the one that has got better processor and higher versatility for resolving complex problems.
May you please suggest?
Thankyou!

Computer science news on Phys.org
By the way, all of the previous are top of the line for each brand.

I don't think you'll need an NSpire.
I use an 89 and it's done everything I've ever needed it to (taking Electrical Engineering)

Keep in mind that for most university course you will not be allowed to bring graphing calculators into exams

alright so i will change the question up a bit.
which one of them two is better?
thankyou anyhow!

anyone?

I'll bump this for you and for all students with similar questions. Have you even considered an older, non-graphing calculator like the HP 15C? Very capable machines, and without the graphing capabilities, you might be able to use it in all your courses.

For Physics:
Graphing: Ti-89 for the quick and easy choice. You can't go wrong.
Hp 50G for more functions and features, if you use in RPN mode, not really that great in algebraic mode.

A good math package as an app or software for a laptop. There are several low cost to free options. Then buy a good pocket calculator for exams or general homework.
Suggestions:
Hp 35s (programmable, pretty much only reason, has 32 K ram and is OS selectable RPN or algebraic (EOS)).
Ti-36x pro
Casio fx 115ES
in that order. There are other good pocket calculators, I name the three above as they are also allowed on the NCEES EIT or PE exams.

You might look at an Hp Prime, but it is more than you would need.

1. What type of calculator do I need for my classes?

The type of calculator you need will depend on the subject you are studying. For basic math and science courses, a simple scientific calculator should suffice. If you are taking advanced math or science courses, you may need a graphing calculator with more functions. If you are in a finance or accounting class, a business calculator may be necessary.

2. What is the difference between a scientific calculator and a graphing calculator?

A scientific calculator is designed for basic calculations and typically has functions for trigonometry, logarithms, and exponents. A graphing calculator has more advanced features, such as the ability to graph equations and create tables. It is also capable of storing equations and performing more complex calculations.

3. Are there any specific brands or models that are recommended for students?

There are many reputable brands that offer calculators for students, including Texas Instruments, Casio, and HP. Some popular models for students include the TI-84 Plus, Casio FX-115ES Plus, and HP 10s+. It is important to check with your school or professor to see if they have any specific requirements or recommendations.

4. Can I use a calculator on all exams?

This will depend on the exam and the rules set by your instructor. Some exams may allow the use of a calculator, while others may not. It is important to check with your professor beforehand to see if a calculator is permitted on the exam.

5. How much should I expect to spend on a calculator?

The price of a calculator will vary depending on the brand and model. On average, a scientific calculator can range from $10 to $30, while a graphing calculator can range from $50 to $200. It is important to consider your budget and the features you need before making a purchase. Keep in mind that a good calculator can last for several years, so it may be worth investing in a higher quality one for long-term use.