Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculators Which calculator?

1. Jul 25, 2005 #1
    At the university I'm taking my physics bachelor, only these calculators are allowed on exams:

Casio FX-82
    Hewlett-Packard HP-30
    Texas Instruments TI-30

So which could you reccomend?

Btw, aren't these calculators somewhat "archaic"? Also, is it common not being allowed to use graphing calculators/more advanced calculators at university level?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2005 #2
    I've always been under the impression TI makes nice stuff. Personally, I like my TI-34 II, although I don't know how close it is to the TI-30.

4. Jul 25, 2005 #3
    any calculator that can do scientific notation, exponentials, logs, and trig will be good enough.

5. Jul 26, 2005 #4

ek

We are not allowed to use graphing calculators at all at my university.

Really there's no point anyway.

6. Dec 31, 2008 #5
    Cscott, I have the TI-30 and TI-34 II, the TI-34 II is wonderful and is good for basic math and trignometry and calculus.Sony, for physics I would use TI-30. It is also good, but very simple. Will you need complicated functions?

7. Jan 1, 2009 #6

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I guess you didn't notice that cscott's posting is about three and a half years old. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?