1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculators Which calculator?

1. Jul 25, 2005 #1
    At the university I'm taking my physics bachelor, only these calculators are allowed on exams:

Casio FX-82
    Hewlett-Packard HP-30
    Texas Instruments TI-30

So which could you reccomend?

Btw, aren't these calculators somewhat "archaic"? Also, is it common not being allowed to use graphing calculators/more advanced calculators at university level?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2005 #2
    I've always been under the impression TI makes nice stuff. Personally, I like my TI-34 II, although I don't know how close it is to the TI-30.

4. Jul 25, 2005 #3
    any calculator that can do scientific notation, exponentials, logs, and trig will be good enough.

5. Jul 26, 2005 #4

ek

We are not allowed to use graphing calculators at all at my university.

Really there's no point anyway.

6. Dec 31, 2008 #5
    Cscott, I have the TI-30 and TI-34 II, the TI-34 II is wonderful and is good for basic math and trignometry and calculus.Sony, for physics I would use TI-30. It is also good, but very simple. Will you need complicated functions?

7. Jan 1, 2009 #6

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I guess you didn't notice that cscott's posting is about three and a half years old. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?