Which Calculator to Use for University Physics Exams

• Calculators
  • Thread starter sony
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculator
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of calculators on exams at university, specifically the Casio FX-82, Hewlett-Packard HP-30, and Texas Instruments TI-30. Recommendations are given for the TI-34 II and TI-30, which are considered good enough for scientific notation, exponentials, logs, and trig. It is mentioned that graphing calculators are not allowed at the speaker's university, and that they may not be necessary for physics. The conversation also acknowledges that the original post is several years old.
sony
At the university I'm taking my physics bachelor, only these calculators are allowed on exams:

Casio FX-82
Hewlett-Packard HP-30
Texas Instruments TI-30

So which could you reccomend?

Btw, aren't these calculators somewhat "archaic"? Also, is it common not being allowed to use graphing calculators/more advanced calculators at university level?

Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
I've always been under the impression TI makes nice stuff. Personally, I like my TI-34 II, although I don't know how close it is to the TI-30.

any calculator that can do scientific notation, exponentials, logs, and trig will be good enough.

We are not allowed to use graphing calculators at all at my university.

Really there's no point anyway.

Cscott, I have the TI-30 and TI-34 II, the TI-34 II is wonderful and is good for basic math and trignometry and calculus.Sony, for physics I would use TI-30. It is also good, but very simple. Will you need complicated functions?

I guess you didn't notice that cscott's posting is about three and a half years old. :smile:

1. What type of calculator is recommended for university physics exams?

The most recommended type of calculator for university physics exams is a scientific calculator. This type of calculator typically has functions such as trigonometric, logarithmic, and exponential functions which are useful for solving complex equations in physics.

2. Is a graphing calculator necessary for university physics exams?

While a graphing calculator may be useful for some concepts in physics, it is not necessary for university physics exams. In fact, some exams may not allow the use of graphing calculators, so it is important to check with your professor beforehand.

3. Can I use a calculator app on my phone for university physics exams?

No, most university physics exams do not allow the use of calculator apps on phones. It is best to use a physical calculator to avoid any potential issues during the exam.

4. Are there any specific brands or models of calculators that are recommended for university physics exams?

There is no specific brand or model of calculator that is recommended for university physics exams. As long as the calculator is a scientific calculator and meets the requirements set by the professor, it should be suitable for the exam.

5. Can I use a calculator with computer algebra system (CAS) for university physics exams?

Most university physics exams do not allow the use of calculators with CAS capabilities. This is because these calculators can solve equations and perform other functions that may give an unfair advantage during the exam. It is important to check with your professor beforehand to see if CAS calculators are allowed.