Choosing the Best Introductory Calculus Textbook: Non-Biased Reviews

In summary: Well ok, I mean I'm not completely brain dead. I've gone through numerous University level textbooks and I just started sophmore year. Is the book really that difficult( I'd be surprised considering it's introductory level) or are you assuming I'm at the average high school level and this is too much for me?The book is very difficult and is not meant for people who are just starting college. If you are a sophomore or younger, you might be able to manage it, but you would be doing a lot of struggling. If you are a sophomore or younger, you might be able to manage it, but you would be doing a lot of struggling.
Tri
Hello, I need help with deciding which textbook to buy. All I want is your non-biased opinions on which is the better introduction Calculus book.

Calculus
by Ron Larson

Calculus, Vol. 1: One-Variable Calculus, with an Introduction to Linear Algebra
by Tom M. Apostol

Calculus: An Intuitive and Physical Approach
by Morris Kline

Calculus
by Michael Spivak

These are my options, what are your thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org

Some of the choices you listed have very different target audiences, e.g. Spivak is almost a real analysis text, while Kline takes, as the title indicates, "an intuitive and physical approach". Give us some more detail about what kind of book you are looking for if you want a good recommendation.

A. Bahat said:
Some of the choices you listed have very different target audiences, e.g. Spivak is almost a real analysis text, while Kline takes, as the title indicates, "an intuitive and physical approach". Give us some more detail about what kind of book you are looking for if you want a good recommendation.

Basically, I would just like a good introduction Calculus that teaches you from the ground up covering all fundamentals.

The best calculus book in my opinion is Spivak. It has really good explanations and many challenging (but hard) exercises.
The only problem with Spivak is that you're likely not ready for it. In order to read Spivak, you need to be familiar with calculus and proofs. So it's more like a second text on calculus. The same is true for Apostol.

If you're encountering calculus for the first time, then you should check out "A first course in calculus" by Serge Lang. I liked that book very much and it's not as hard as Spivak (although that means it is less rigorous).
Another book that should be good is "Quick Calculus" by Kleppner and Ramsey.

You should check these two books out!

micromass said:
The best calculus book in my opinion is Spivak. It has really good explanations and many challenging (but hard) exercises.
The only problem with Spivak is that you're likely not ready for it. In order to read Spivak, you need to be familiar with calculus and proofs. So it's more like a second text on calculus. The same is true for Apostol.

If you're encountering calculus for the first time, then you should check out "A first course in calculus" by Serge Lang. I liked that book very much and it's not as hard as Spivak (although that means it is less rigorous).
Another book that should be good is "Quick Calculus" by Kleppner and Ramsey.

You should check these two books out!

Already ordered Spivak, I have no exposure to Calculus but I'm pretty good at Algebra,trig,and geometry. Is there anyway I can manage with this colossal book?

Tri said:
Already ordered Spivak, I have no exposure to Calculus but I'm pretty good at Algebra,trig,and geometry. Is there anyway I can manage with this colossal book?

I can assure you that you are going to struggle. It's very rigorous book and the exercises are hard. Here are some tips:

• Don't rely on Spivak alone. Use other easier books, use internet as a resource, use physicsforums, use khan academy. If you don't use other sources, then you will likely not get much out of Spivak since it's difficult.
  • The book requires you to prove things. You are probably not used to proving things. This is why a proof book might come in handy. Take a look at Velleman's "How to prove it" or at Houston's "How to think like a mathematician".
  • Do not expect you to solve every exercise in one minute. Some exercises might take hours or days of thinking. This is normal. Don't expect this to be like a high school textbook.

micromass said:
I can assure you that you are going to struggle. It's very rigorous book and the exercises are hard. Here are some tips:

• Don't rely on Spivak alone. Use other easier books, use internet as a resource, use physicsforums, use khan academy. If you don't use other sources, then you will likely not get much out of Spivak since it's difficult.
  • The book requires you to prove things. You are probably not used to proving things. This is why a proof book might come in handy. Take a look at Velleman's "How to prove it" or at Houston's "How to think like a mathematician".
  • Do not expect you to solve every exercise in one minute. Some exercises might take hours or days of thinking. This is normal. Don't expect this to be like a high school textbook.

Well ok, I mean I'm not completely brain dead. I've gone through numerous University level textbooks and I just started sophmore year. Is the book really that difficult( I'd be surprised considering it's introductory level) or are you assuming I'm at the average high school level and this is too advance?

Tri said:
Well ok, I mean I'm not completely brain dead. I've gone through numerous University level textbooks and I just started sophmore year. Is the book really that difficult( I'd be surprised considering it's introductory level) or are you assuming I'm at the average high school level and this is too advance?

OK, so here's an standard Spivak exercise:

If x and y are not both zero, then [itex]x^2+xy+y^2>0[/itex]. Show this.

For which numbers [itex]\alpha[/itex] is it true that [itex]x^2+\alpha xy+y^2>0[/itex] whenever x and y are both nonzero?

If you can do things like that, then Spivak might be ok for you.

Another one:

Let A be a subset of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]. We call x an upper bound of A if [itex]x\geq a[/itex] for all a in A.
The least upper bound of A is called the supremum of A. That is, if x is the supremum of A, then x is an upper bound and if y is another upper bound then [itex]x\leq y[/itex].

Now, assume that x is an upper bound of A. Show x is the supremum of A if and only if for each [itex]\varepsilon >0[/itex], there exists an a in A such that [itex]x-\varepsilon< a[/itex].

This is a pretty standard result that you should be able to prove yourself.

micromass said:
Another one:

Let A be a subset of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]. We call x an upper bound of A if [itex]x\geq a[/itex] for all a in A.
The least upper bound of A is called the supremum of A. That is, if x is the supremum of A, then x is an upper bound and if y is another upper bound then [itex]x\leq y[/itex].

Now, assume that x is an upper bound of A. Show x is the supremum of A if and only if for each [itex]\varepsilon >0[/itex], there exists an a in A such that [itex]x-\varepsilon< a[/itex].

This is a pretty standard result that you should be able to prove yourself.

This is real analysis, why are you even showing me this? Obviously I have no idea how to do it, that's why I'm getting the book, which teaches you how.

Not a mathematician, but I'm a big fan of Shilov's book published by Dover under the title <Elementary real and complex analysis>.

1. What is the best calculus textbook for beginners?

The best calculus textbook for beginners will depend on your learning style and preferences. Some popular options include "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, "Calculus" by Michael Spivak, and "Calculus: A Complete Course" by Robert A. Adams.

2. Which calculus textbook is most commonly used in universities?

The most commonly used calculus textbook in universities varies by institution, but some popular choices include "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, "Calculus: A Complete Course" by Robert A. Adams, and "Calculus: Concepts and Contexts" by James Stewart.

3. Is there a difference between a calculus textbook for engineering and one for mathematics?

Yes, there can be differences between a calculus textbook for engineering and one for mathematics. Engineering calculus textbooks may focus more on practical applications and examples, while mathematics calculus textbooks may delve deeper into theory and proofs.

4. What should I look for in a calculus textbook?

When choosing a calculus textbook, consider your learning style, the level of difficulty, and the topics covered. Look for clear explanations, examples, and exercises to practice. You may also want to consider any additional online resources or study materials that come with the textbook.

5. Can I use an older edition of a calculus textbook?

It is possible to use an older edition of a calculus textbook, but keep in mind that there may be differences in content and problems. Some editions may also come with online access codes that are necessary for homework and additional resources. It is best to check with your instructor before using an older edition of a textbook.