1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which can induce more current in a conductor, a DC current of 50V 10A or a step chang

1. Mar 14, 2012 #1
    Which can induce more current in a conductor, a DC current of 50V 10A or a step change from 1mA to 3mA?

I thought that in a DC circuit the inductor would not induce a voltage as V=L(δI/δt) where (δI/δt) is 0 for a DC circuit. But then some websites that I have looked at say differently so I'm a bit confused. The question doesn't give me enough information to use any of the equations that I have been taught so could you please tell me how to sove this problem. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2012 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Which can induce more current in a conductor, a DC current of 50V 10A or a step c

Try Farady's and Ampere's laws ...

4. Mar 15, 2012 #3
    Re: Which can induce more current in a conductor, a DC current of 50V 10A or a step c

Surely I dont have enough information to apply either of these laws though

5. Mar 15, 2012 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

The arrangement is of two parallel wires, is it? When the current in one of them matches what you describe, what happens in the other wire? Is that the question?

6. Mar 15, 2012 #5

I don't know, that statement is all that I was given so I don't know if I am supposed to make assumptions or not.

7. Mar 15, 2012 #6

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Well, with such scanty specifications, maybe you are allowed to wave one wire furiously around in the vicinity of the other https://www.physicsforums.com/images/icons/icon5.gif [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  8. Mar 15, 2012 #7

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ah, but you do!

9. Mar 15, 2012 #8

I thought you needed the length of the wire and radius to work out the magnetic field strength and things

10. Mar 15, 2012 #9

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not in this case.

Hint: one's a dc current, one is time-varying. Then think about Messrs. Faraday and Ampere.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook