Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which [Chinese] new year is it?

1. Sheep?

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Goat?

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Ram?

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Something else?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Feb 19, 2015 #1

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2015 #2
    I am immediately hiring the goat as head of security for PF! :D

4. Feb 19, 2015 #3
    I guess you don't speak goat. If you realized what he said there, jtbell would have an infraction for posting it.

5. Feb 19, 2015 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I think that goat has posted here before...

6. Feb 23, 2015 #5

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

According to the Chinese, this the year of the yang, a word which in the Mandarin Chinese language can refer to both sheep and goats, with shanyang referring specifically to goats and mianyang referring specifically to sheep. So whether the year is called the Year of the Sheep or Year of the Goat depends on culture.

In Japan, the year is referred as "hitsujidoshi" or "Year of the Sheep", unambiguously (same in Korea and Mongolia), whereas in Vietnam, the year is referred unambiguously as "Year of the Goat". In China, people in southern China refer to it as "Year of the Goat", whereas people in northern China refer to it as "Year of the Sheep". Which makes sense, since there are more goats in southern China than sheep, and vice versa for northern China.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goat_(zodiac)

7. Feb 23, 2015 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Sure it was the same goat? Lots of old goats around.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook