Which class for undergrad math

In summary, the person is trying to choose 2 out of 4 classes for their second year as a math major. They have narrowed their options down to field theory and topology, but are considering taking the other two classes later. They are recommended to take field theory and topology, as well as a course on abstract algebra if available. The person is not particularly interested in set theory, so they are leaning towards field theory and topology. They also question why both field theory and algebra 2 would exist if they cover the same material. Overall, the person believes that field theory and topology are the most useful classes out of the four options.
cap.r
hey, I am trying to pick 2 out of these 4 classes. I want to be a well rounded under grad math major. I am in my second year and have done 2 semesters of analysis, 1 abstract algebra, 1 number theory, 2 stats, 1 complex analysis.

these are the choices I have narrowed my options down to. I am leaning towards topo and field theory. of course there is no reason not to take the other two later, but these courses aren't offered every semester...

Field theory
Algebraic and transcendental elements, Galois theory, constructions with straight-edge and compass, solutions of equations of low degrees, insolubility of the quintic equation, Sylow theorems, fundamental theorem of finite Abelian groups.

Axiomatic Set theory
Development of a system of axiomatic set theory, choice principles, induction principles, ordinal arithmetic including discussion of cancellation laws, divisibility, canonical expansions, cardinal arithmetic including connections with the axiom of choice, Hartog's theorem, Konig's theorem, properties of regular, singular and inaccessible cardinals.

Elementary Logic
Elementary development of propositional and predicate logic, including semantics and deductive systems and with a discussion of completeness, incompleteness and the decision problem.

Introduction to topology
Metric spaces, topological spaces, connectedness, compactness (including Heine-Borel and Bolzano-Weierstrass theorems), Cantor sets, continuous maps and homeomorphisms, fundamental group (homotopy, covering spaces, the fundamental theorem of algebra, Brouwer fixed point theorem), surfaces (e.g., Euler characteristic, the index of a vector field, hairy sphere theorem), elements of combinatorial topology (graphs and trees, planarity, coloring problems).

Physics news on Phys.org
Unless you are particularly interested in Symbolic Logic and "Foundations of Mathematics", I would recommend Field Theory and Topology.

Topology and field theory. Although; I'm pretty surprised you don't have another course like 'Abstract Algebra 2' that covers everything in the field theory section along with some ring theory (ideals, euclidean domains, principal ideal domains etc.). If your school does, in fact, offer a class like that I would sugesst you take that instead. If not, definitely field theory and topology (since I assume that if you were really into set theory the other two would be no-brainers, so you must not be that into set theory).

Last edited:
If Algebra 2 had everything in field theory why would both classes exist?

Field theory and topology are obviously the more useful ones.

1. What math classes are required for an undergraduate degree in science?

The specific math classes required for an undergraduate degree in science may vary depending on the specific program or university. However, generally, students are required to take courses in calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations.

2. Can I take advanced math classes as an undergraduate?

Yes, many universities offer advanced math classes for undergraduate students. These may include courses in abstract algebra, real analysis, and topology, among others. However, these classes may have prerequisites and may not be available to all students.

3. Do I need to have a strong background in math to pursue a degree in science?

While a strong foundation in math can be helpful for pursuing a degree in science, it is not always a requirement. Many universities offer introductory math courses for students who may not have a strong background in the subject. Additionally, students can seek help from tutors or take advantage of resources such as study groups to improve their math skills.

4. Is it beneficial to take more math classes than the minimum required for my degree?

Taking additional math classes can be beneficial for students pursuing a degree in science. It can help them develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are crucial in the field of science. Additionally, having a strong background in math can open up opportunities for graduate studies or careers in fields such as data science or engineering.

5. What is the difference between pure and applied math classes?

Pure math classes focus on theoretical concepts and their applications, while applied math classes focus on the practical use of mathematical concepts in solving real-world problems. The choice between the two may depend on a student's interests and career goals. It is also common for students to take a combination of both types of classes to gain a well-rounded understanding of mathematics.