What math electives should I take as a mechanical engineering major?

• Thread starter rokinv8
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Class
In summary, the person is a freshman mechanical engineering major and loves math. They are currently taking calculus II and plan on taking calculus III and differential equations next semester. They are unsure about which math electives to take beyond that, and are considering classes on partial derivatives and calculus IV. They have already taken some credit from high school, allowing them to take some electives. They are also considering taking a statistics course and combinatorial mathematics. They are also taking linear algebra this semester which has already helped them in their physics course.
rokinv8
hi. i am a freshman majoring in mechanical engineering and i really love math. i am in calculus II right now during my first semester. as a mechanical engineering major, my university requires that engineers only take calculus I, II, and III and differential equations. i already had a bunch of credit from high school which frees me up to take a couple of electives. i am planning on taking calc III and differential equations next semester but i don't know what math electives i should take beyond that. i am stuck between a class on partial derivatives and calculus IV (introductory analysis). any help with a decision would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If they don't already require it, I would suggest taking a statistics course. It should be required though. Also, combinatorial mathematics helps to broaden your thinking about mathematics as well. I'm not a mathematician, but both those courses seemed to help when dealing with the real world for me.

As far as which between partial derivatives and calculus IV to take, I only went to calc II, so can't really say.

Linear algebra makes calc III easier (I am told). I'm taking calc II and LA this semester. Plus LA has already helped to give me an edge in my physics course.

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a class?

When choosing a class, you should consider your interests, career goals, academic requirements, and scheduling availability. Think about what subjects you enjoy, what skills you want to develop, and what courses are required for your major or degree program.

2. How do I know if a class will be too difficult for me?

The best way to determine if a class will be too difficult is to review the course description, syllabus, and prerequisites. Look at the level of the course, the expected workload, and the required background knowledge. You can also talk to your academic advisor or other students who have taken the class for their insights.

3. What are the benefits of taking an advanced or honors class?

Advanced or honors classes can provide a more challenging and rigorous academic experience, which can help you develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and time-management skills. These classes also often have smaller class sizes, allowing for more personalized attention and participation.

4. Should I take a class that is outside of my major?

Taking a class outside of your major can broaden your knowledge and skills, and may also help you discover new interests. It can also make you a more well-rounded and versatile job candidate. However, make sure the class still aligns with your academic and career goals and won't negatively impact your overall GPA.

5. How can I find out more information about a specific class?

You can find more information about a specific class by reading the course description and syllabus, talking to the instructor or other students who have taken the class, or attending an information session or open house. You can also research the instructor's background and teaching style to get a better understanding of the class.