1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which classes should I take?

1. Jul 21, 2014 #1
    So I am going into my third year at a college. I am a double major math and mechanical engineering. And I'm trying to decide which schedule I should take. The main difference between them is one option takes only two semesters while the other takes 3 semesters. I do not want to over do myself and mess my gpa up. (3.96 currently) So bio about me is I work about 20-25 hours a week which will increase to right under or around 30 at November and December. School is my life.

Option 1 (2 semesters)
    Fall
    - Cal 3
    - Phys 1
    - Mathematical proofs
    - Differential Equations
    14 hours

Spring
    - Phys 2
    - Statics
    - Mechanics
    - Abstract Algebra
    - Real analysis
    (16 hours)

Summer
    - Senior math project
    - Linear Algebra
    - Probability
    (7 hours)

Option 2 (3 semesters)
    Fall
    - Cal 3
    - Phys 1
    - Mathematical proofs
    - Random class
    (12 hours)

I thought about putting differential equations here instead of the random class. For 13 hours

Spring
    - Phys 2
    - Statics
    - Abstract Algebra
    - Differential equations
    (13 hours)

Summer
    - Senior math project
    - internship

Spring
    - Real analysis
    - Linear Algebra
    - Probability
    - Mechanics
    (12 hours)

I know it is long. But thank you. Look forward to your input.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2014 #2

psparky

Gold Member

Do whatever you like.

No one knows your life or schedule more than you do!

What would you do and why?

4. Jul 21, 2014 #3
    Good point. Option 1 makes me nervous because of that 16 hours during the spring semester. But doing it in 3 semesters maybe is not as bad as it seems. Do you guys think that is a good double major?

5. Jul 21, 2014 #4

462chevelle

Gold Member

I don't know how you feel about spring semesters. but I hate them. so I stay 12-13 hours for spring

6. Jul 21, 2014 #5

psparky

Gold Member

Of course it's a good double major. It would be even better if it were ELECTRICAL engineering.

But nobody is perfect.

Again....coming from a sparky....

In reality, it looks like you have things set up quite well. Nice job so far.

7. Jul 21, 2014 #6
    Thats a good combination also. i debated about electrical for awhile actually. There could still be time for change. Thank you. I was just double checking hah. I had talked to an advisor at school one time who said it was a waste to take the extra time to double major. But I always thought the combination was good. Thank you. I think either option works good. I just need to be comfortable with my choice. As of now it is looking like it may take me to 5 to 5 and a half years to get both of them but I think in the long run it will be worth it.

8. Jul 21, 2014 #7

psparky

Gold Member

It probably is a little over the top, but can you really be too smart?

And you obviously enjoy it with your insanely high GPA.

GPA's are great and all, but once you land a job they don't mean much.

Don't forget to develop your social skills a bit as well. Working with other people is typically a huge part of any job.

I wish there was a double major that contained electrical and mechanical engineers. You'll notice the top, top guys in industry know the electrical and mechanical backwards and forwards. As a firm owner, these will be the most desirable guys to develop your business.

9. Jul 21, 2014 #8
    Haha that's a good point. It cannot hurt you. Oh I do I really have enjoyed my classes. It's interesting information. I am proud of my GPA i have worked very hard for it. That's correct that's what I always hear. Your school/GPA helps you get your first job and then after that it's about how good you did at your first. That's very true too. I do try to do some social events. Alot of engineering do work in groups. That's a very good point. I will remember that. I could see how that would be the top employees.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook