Which classes should I take?

• Thread starter thinkcentre12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Classes
In summary: But once you land a job they don't mean much. They are a huge part of your career and it's important to have good social skills.
thinkcentre12
So I am going into my third year at a college. I am a double major math and mechanical engineering. And I'm trying to decide which schedule I should take. The main difference between them is one option takes only two semesters while the other takes 3 semesters. I do not want to over do myself and mess my gpa up. (3.96 currently) So bio about me is I work about 20-25 hours a week which will increase to right under or around 30 at November and December. School is my life.

Option 1 (2 semesters)
Fall
- Cal 3
- Phys 1
- Mathematical proofs
- Differential Equations
14 hours

Spring
- Phys 2
- Statics
- Mechanics
- Abstract Algebra
- Real analysis
(16 hours)

Summer
- Senior math project
- Linear Algebra
- Probability
(7 hours)

Option 2 (3 semesters)
Fall
- Cal 3
- Phys 1
- Mathematical proofs
- Random class
(12 hours)

I thought about putting differential equations here instead of the random class. For 13 hours

Spring
- Phys 2
- Statics
- Abstract Algebra
- Differential equations
(13 hours)

Summer
- Senior math project
- internship

Spring
- Real analysis
- Linear Algebra
- Probability
- Mechanics
(12 hours)

I know it is long. But thank you. Look forward to your input.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do whatever you like.

No one knows your life or schedule more than you do!

What would you do and why?

Good point. Option 1 makes me nervous because of that 16 hours during the spring semester. But doing it in 3 semesters maybe is not as bad as it seems. Do you guys think that is a good double major?

I don't know how you feel about spring semesters. but I hate them. so I stay 12-13 hours for spring

thinkcentre12 said:
Good point. Option 1 makes me nervous because of that 16 hours during the spring semester. But doing it in 3 semesters maybe is not as bad as it seems. Do you guys think that is a good double major?

Of course it's a good double major. It would be even better if it were ELECTRICAL engineering.

But nobody is perfect.

Again...coming from a sparky...

In reality, it looks like you have things set up quite well. Nice job so far.

Thats a good combination also. i debated about electrical for awhile actually. There could still be time for change. Thank you. I was just double checking hah. I had talked to an advisor at school one time who said it was a waste to take the extra time to double major. But I always thought the combination was good. Thank you. I think either option works good. I just need to be comfortable with my choice. As of now it is looking like it may take me to 5 to 5 and a half years to get both of them but I think in the long run it will be worth it.

thinkcentre12 said:
Haha that's funny. I could see that. There could still be time for change. Thank you. I was just double checking hah. I had talked to an advisor at school one time who said it was a waste. But I always thought the combination was good. Thanks you. As of now it is looking like it may take me to 5 to 5 and a half years to get both of them but I think in the long run it will be worth it.

It probably is a little over the top, but can you really be too smart?

And you obviously enjoy it with your insanely high GPA.

GPA's are great and all, but once you land a job they don't mean much.

Don't forget to develop your social skills a bit as well. Working with other people is typically a huge part of any job.

I wish there was a double major that contained electrical and mechanical engineers. You'll notice the top, top guys in industry know the electrical and mechanical backwards and forwards. As a firm owner, these will be the most desirable guys to develop your business.

Haha that's a good point. It cannot hurt you. Oh I do I really have enjoyed my classes. It's interesting information. I am proud of my GPA i have worked very hard for it. That's correct that's what I always hear. Your school/GPA helps you get your first job and then after that it's about how good you did at your first. That's very true too. I do try to do some social events. Alot of engineering do work in groups. That's a very good point. I will remember that. I could see how that would be the top employees.

1. What classes should I take to fulfill my major requirements?

The specific classes you should take to fulfill your major requirements will vary depending on your chosen major. It is important to consult with your academic advisor to create a plan that meets your academic goals and satisfies all necessary requirements.

2. Are there any classes that are recommended for all students to take?

Yes, many universities have general education requirements that all students must fulfill. These classes cover a variety of subjects and are designed to provide a well-rounded education. It is important to check with your university's requirements to determine which classes you need to take.

3. How do I know which classes will be most beneficial for my future career?

This will depend on your career goals and the requirements of the field in which you wish to work. It is recommended to research the job market and speak with professionals in your desired field to determine which classes will be most beneficial for your future career.

4. Can I take classes outside of my major?

Yes, many universities allow students to take classes outside of their major as electives. These classes can provide valuable skills and knowledge, and can also help you explore other academic interests. However, it is important to ensure that you are still fulfilling your major requirements while also taking these additional classes.

5. Should I take classes that are more challenging or stick with classes that are easier?

It is important to find a balance between challenging yourself and managing your workload. Taking challenging classes can help you develop important skills and deepen your understanding of a subject, but it is also important to not overwhelm yourself with too many difficult classes at once. It is recommended to consult with your academic advisor to create a balanced course schedule.