Choosing a College for Theoretical Physics in Ireland

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's plans to study theoretical physics in Ireland and their uncertainty about which college to choose. They mention two main options, UCD and Trinity College Dublin, and ask for advice on which one has a better reputation. They also bring up the differences in course content and degree titles between the two colleges. The conversation then shifts to discussing the importance of mathematics in physics and what topics would be necessary for studying string theory. The speakers also mention the possibility of self-teaching the required math for postgraduate studies.
Ed Aboud
Hi I am currently in my last year of school in Ireland and I am hoping to study theoretical physics next year. The problem is there is a few colleges that provide the course but I have no idea which one to choose. The two main ones I am looking at are UCD and Trinity College Dublin. Do either of these colleges have a better reputation? Thanks for any advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
trinity is more known world wide but not necessarily for its physics...
I have stayed on the campus of UCD while in Ireland, I did not like it at all where as trinity has a very pretty campus.
I have also looked for schools in Ireland but mainly graduate studies. Unfortunately as you said there are not a lot of options once you get more specific about what kind of physics you want to study

Oh ok, and there is two other things I noticed
1. In trinity college when you finish your degree you get a BA but in UCD you get a BSc, is there any difference?
2. And general relativity isn't on the course in trinity, does that matter?

Hi Ed, both these courses and institutions look fine for your undergrad education. The only difference is that UCD are offering GR probably due to the fact that tensor analysis and spacetime are being covered in the Maths section, whereas TCD doesn't seem to have this, although best to ask them about it. Not all Uni's cover GR at the undergrad level as without the math background it's a non-starter really.

With Theoretical Physics I would have thought that GR would have played a major part. It doesn't really matter though whether it's a BA or BSc and you can pick up extra material as you approach postgrad level.

After my Physics degree I felt that my maths wasn't rigorous enough for postgrad work so I followed it with a Math degree, bit extreme I know but I found it difficult to take in all the math required for physics as it was taught concurrently.

take heed in Marco9's words. Having the appropriate Math knowledge can make your life so much easier in physics classes, however, I do not mean that trinity's classes are lacking in math rigor. At trinity I would just make sure you take as many math classes as you can.

I know I earlier said that there aren't many choices in Ireland but for a few check out this site. I just uncovered the link from my previous searches for grad schools in Ireland:
http://ireland.iop.org/activity/education/Studying_physics_in_Ireland/page_21376.html

Check out NUI-Galway they have a Mathematical Physics Dept. you would certainly be prepared for further studies in theo. physics based on your math knowledge assuming you do well there.

I will be at Mary Immaculate College during spring semester next year just taking huanities classes though I may sit in on an Abstract Algebra Course

Last edited by a moderator:
First off, thanks very much for the help guys, I was pretty lost before, appreciate it. I think I'll be going to UCD.
Second, what topics in maths would be the most important know, and this may be a ridiculous question but would it be too much work to teach yourself the maths required for postgrad work. I'm sure this probably all depends on what you are doing your postgrad on as well. My main interest is that sometime in the future I want to be looking into string theory. What topics in maths will I have to focus on to get there?
Thanks again.

the list goes on and on for math required for string theory.

Analysis, Algebra (including group ring and lie theory here), topology, Differential Geometry, differential forms, + some aspects of mathematical physics like Super Symmetry and QM

now you don't need to know everything about all of those topics however it is just a list of things you may come across in your studies.

As for teaching your self the math for postgrad... it is certainly possible but how likely? that is another question... In my opinion at some point you are going to need teachers and advisers to guide you, especially as the math gets more and more complex

1. What are the top universities in Ireland for studying theoretical physics?

Ireland has several top universities that offer programs in theoretical physics, but the most renowned ones are Trinity College Dublin, University College Dublin, and University College Cork. These universities have strong research programs, experienced faculty, and state-of-the-art facilities for theoretical physics.

2. What are the key factors to consider when choosing a college for theoretical physics in Ireland?

Some of the key factors to consider when choosing a college for theoretical physics in Ireland include the reputation of the university, the quality of the faculty and research facilities, the curriculum and course offerings, the availability of scholarships and funding opportunities, and the location and cost of living.

3. Are there any specific programs or specializations in theoretical physics offered in Ireland?

Yes, there are several specialized programs in theoretical physics offered in Ireland, such as astrophysics, particle physics, quantum mechanics, and cosmology. It is important to research the specific programs and their curriculum to find the one that aligns with your interests and career goals.

4. What are the job prospects for theoretical physics graduates in Ireland?

Theoretical physics is a highly specialized field, and graduates from top universities in Ireland have a high demand in both academia and industry. Many graduates go on to pursue research careers in prestigious institutions, while others find opportunities in technology, finance, and government sectors.

5. Are there any opportunities for international students to study theoretical physics in Ireland?

Yes, Ireland is a popular destination for international students, and many universities offer programs in theoretical physics specifically designed for international students. These programs may have additional support for language and cultural integration, as well as opportunities for internships and networking with industry professionals.