Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which counties celebrate Halloween

1. Oct 31, 2003 #1

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Which counties celebrate it (US and UK?) and what are you doing this evening?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2003 #2
    I'm taking my girlfriend's younger siblings trick-or-treating :smile:

4. Oct 31, 2003 #3

Njorl

Science Advisor

My 7 year old daughter will be a fairy princess and my 2+3/4 year old son picked out his own Eeyore costume. He is very cute in it. Nothing special, I know, but it will be special to them.

Njorl

5. Oct 31, 2003 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sweet!! Dressed up as what?

What is an Eeyore custome?? It sounds like Igor from the Poe the Beer?

Where did Halloween come from anyway??

6. Oct 31, 2003 #5
    I think I've reached my limit on trick or treating years. The stubble and the beer tend to give me away.

7. Oct 31, 2003 #6

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You mean Winnie the Pooh maybe? :smile: In the US he's called Eeyore. Somehow the name Igor makes him seem even more morose and miserable though.

8. Oct 31, 2003 #7

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ah! So it IS Igor the tijger :P

You know that the big bird from sesamstraat in The Netherlands is blue and not yellow :P

9. Oct 31, 2003 #8

Njorl

Science Advisor

Eeyore is the donkey from Winnie the Pooh.

Tigger is the tiger (note the two g's in Tigger.)

Halloween - All Hallows E'en, All Hallows Evening

http://www.serve.com/shea/germusa/hallow.htm

An excerpt:
    "The festival of Halloween is based on a combination of the Christian commemoration of the departed faithful (All Saints' Day) with the pre-Christian Celtic feast associated with a celebration of the end of summer and the Celtic New Year. Celts who lived in what is now known as Ireland, Scotland and parts of Great Britain celebrated their new year that began November 1. Allhallows' Even was observed on the evening of October 31st. Around 800 A.D., the day became known among Christians as Allhallomas which eventually changed to All Hallow E'en, or Halloween. "

Njorl

10. Oct 31, 2003 #9
    I have been sat at home playing my guitar surfing the web and am about to read a book, not all of it though just some of it.

11. Oct 31, 2003 #10

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Andy,

I hate surfing while I play guitar. My monitor couples 60Hz noise into my pickups... at least I have a good noise gate.

Maybe I should get one of those kick-ass LCD monitors. I think I'd rather have my pilot's license though.

- Warren

12. Oct 31, 2003 #11
    i had meant to say that i had been playing guitar, am still learning how to play and spent a few hours trying to nail the sweet child o mine riff, perfection is eluding me at the moment but i feel it wont be long.

13. Oct 31, 2003 #12
    That ain't right.

Anyways, this Halloween I get to do my philosophy (later Wittgenstein) take home midterm that I have put off for over a week. Yes, I know, I am a loser. I will probably go get drunk after I get some work done.

14. Oct 31, 2003 #13

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

my 7 year old daughter is going to be a princess, and my 3 year old son will be patrick from spongbob...and of course i am taking them trick or treating in order to get me lots of candy...

15. Oct 31, 2003 #14
    I am going to a large party at a bar in Salt Lake City....dressed as billy idol!

Rock on

16. Oct 31, 2003 #15

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As soon as I can get the wife in kids out the door, trick or treating I'll have some peace and quite. Don't seem to be many trick or treaters out. Should by swarming the place. We've had 1 little girl and 2 teens from the local CC looking for canned food.

17. Oct 31, 2003 #16
    I'm just, suring the web, reading, eating a bit of candy, and I'll probably watch a movie later.
    I've been telling the trick or treaters that come to our door not to take candy from strangers as I stuff it into their bags

18. Oct 31, 2003 #17

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

I'm coding c++ while eating vanilla fudge ice-cream. Yum

photon - you should give out physics homework to the kids that come by the door. :smile:

19. Nov 1, 2003 #18
    Is it over?

20. Nov 1, 2003 #19
    Yes, it's over.

In San Francisco, they take Halloween to a whole different level.

Let's just say I'm glad I'm near Lake Merced where it's relatively quiet...and relatively normal.

21. Nov 1, 2003 #20
    You mean you didn't go down to Castro this year?

I wish I was down in Isla Vista this year.... It is always crazy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?