Which counties celebrate Halloween

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
In summary, people in the US and UK celebrate Halloween differently. People in the US celebrate it by going out trick or treating. People in the UK celebrate it by putting on a costume and going out for a party.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Which counties celebrate it (US and UK?) and what are you doing this evening?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
My 7 year old daughter will be a fairy princess and my 2+3/4 year old son picked out his own Eeyore costume. He is very cute in it. Nothing special, I know, but it will be special to them.

Njorl

Originally posted by Greg Bernhardt
I'm taking my girlfriend's younger siblings trick-or-treating :smile:
Sweet! Dressed up as what?

What is an Eeyore custome?? It sounds like Igor from the Poe the Beer?

Where did Halloween come from anyway??

I think I've reached my limit on trick or treating years. The stubble and the beer tend to give me away.

Originally posted by Monique
What is an Eeyore custome?? It sounds like Igor from the Poe the Beer?

You mean Winnie the Pooh maybe? :smile: In the US he's called Eeyore. Somehow the name Igor makes him seem even more morose and miserable though.

Originally posted by hypnagogue
You mean Winnie the Pooh maybe? :smile: In the US he's called Eeyore. Somehow the name Igor makes him seem even more morose and miserable though.
Ah! So it IS Igor the tijger :P

You know that the big bird from sesamstraat in The Netherlands is blue and not yellow :P

Eeyore is the donkey from Winnie the Pooh.

Tigger is the tiger (note the two g's in Tigger.)

Halloween - All Hallows E'en, All Hallows Evening

http://www.serve.com/shea/germusa/hallow.htm

An excerpt:
"The festival of Halloween is based on a combination of the Christian commemoration of the departed faithful (All Saints' Day) with the pre-Christian Celtic feast associated with a celebration of the end of summer and the Celtic New Year. Celts who lived in what is now known as Ireland, Scotland and parts of Great Britain celebrated their new year that began November 1. Allhallows' Even was observed on the evening of October 31st. Around 800 A.D., the day became known among Christians as Allhallomas which eventually changed to All Hallow E'en, or Halloween. "

Njorl

I have been sat at home playing my guitar surfing the web and am about to read a book, not all of it though just some of it.

Andy,

I hate surfing while I play guitar. My monitor couples 60Hz noise into my pickups... at least I have a good noise gate.

Maybe I should get one of those kick-ass LCD monitors. I think I'd rather have my pilot's license though.

- Warren

i had meant to say that i had been playing guitar, am still learning how to play and spent a few hours trying to nail the sweet child o mine riff, perfection is eluding me at the moment but i feel it won't be long.

You know that the big bird from sesamstraat in The Netherlands is blue and not yellow :P

That ain't right.

Anyways, this Halloween I get to do my philosophy (later Wittgenstein) take home midterm that I have put off for over a week. Yes, I know, I am a loser. I will probably go get drunk after I get some work done.

my 7 year old daughter is going to be a princess, and my 3 year old son will be patrick from spongbob...and of course i am taking them trick or treating in order to get me lots of candy...

I am going to a large party at a bar in Salt Lake City...dressed as billy idol!

Rock on

As soon as I can get the wife in kids out the door, trick or treating I'll have some peace and quite. Don't seem to be many trick or treaters out. Should by swarming the place. We've had 1 little girl and 2 teens from the local CC looking for canned food.

I'm just, suring the web, reading, eating a bit of candy, and I'll probably watch a movie later.
I've been telling the trick or treaters that come to our door not to take candy from strangers as I stuff it into their bags

I'm coding c++ while eating vanilla fudge ice-cream. Yum

photon - you should give out physics homework to the kids that come by the door. :smile:

Is it over?

Yes, it's over.

In San Francisco, they take Halloween to a whole different level.

Let's just say I'm glad I'm near Lake Merced where it's relatively quiet...and relatively normal.

Originally posted by redrogue
Yes, it's over.

In San Francisco, they take Halloween to a whole different level.

Let's just say I'm glad I'm near Lake Merced where it's relatively quiet...and relatively normal.

You mean you didn't go down to Castro this year?

I wish I was down in Isla Vista this year... It is always crazy.

i think its a kinda of dumb holiday (wait not a holiday holiday is holly day). going to strangers houses and asking for candy ummm kinda being hipprocital we tell our kids don't talk to strangers. but that's just me i like the partys better. dressing up as demonds and evil stuff also kinda stupid. good for little kids though when supervised by parents last year we got a 7 or 8 year old trick or treater alone

Last edited:
Originally posted by RageSk8
That ain't right.

Anyways, this Halloween I get to do my philosophy (later Wittgenstein) take home midterm that I have put off for over a week. Yes, I know, I am a loser. I will probably go get drunk after I get some work done.

"And Wittgenstein was a beery swine

Who was just as schloshed as Schlegel."

So, we find Rage's true ambition - to work his way into Monty Python's Drunken Philosopher Song!

Njorl

1. Which countries celebrate Halloween?

Halloween is primarily celebrated in the United States, Canada, Ireland, and the United Kingdom. However, it is also celebrated in other countries such as Mexico, Australia, and Germany.

2. Is Halloween a global holiday?

While Halloween is primarily celebrated in English-speaking countries, it is becoming increasingly popular in other countries around the world. Some countries may have their own unique traditions and celebrations for Halloween.

3. Why do some countries not celebrate Halloween?

Some countries may have different cultural or religious beliefs that do not align with the traditions of Halloween. For example, in some countries, Halloween may be seen as too commercialized or may conflict with their own traditional holidays.

4. Are there any countries that celebrate Halloween on a different date?

In some countries, Halloween may be celebrated on a different date or have different traditions. For example, in Mexico, Halloween is celebrated as part of the multi-day holiday Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) on November 1st and 2nd.

5. Do all counties celebrate Halloween in the same way?

No, while the main traditions of Halloween may be similar, each country may have their own unique customs and celebrations. For example, in Ireland, Halloween is believed to have originated and is still celebrated with traditional activities such as bobbing for apples and carving turnips instead of pumpkins.