Which Course is Best for a Future in Nanotechnology?

• Courses
  • Thread starter crazy student
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Course
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in physics, maths, and chemistry and their uncertainty about which course to choose. They mention the possibility of studying nanotechnology but express concern about the lack of maths in the program. They then consider chemical engineering or materials science and engineering as alternative options, but note that they are more interested in the field of nanotechnology. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to pursue solid-state physics or physical chemistry for a career in nanotechnology.
crazy student
I am interested in physics, maths and a bit chemistry
but i am not sure which course I should choose.
I have thought about nanotechnology(BSc), but there isn't much maths in the course...
I want to do more maths during my undergrad course.
I wonder 'chem eng' or 'material sci & eng' is more suitable to to get in the field of nanotech. after I graduate...

Physics news on Phys.org
Well one of my HS classmates triple majored in math, physics, and chemistry and is doing molecular electronics research.

Theres a lot of math in any kind of scientific engineering. It just depends on whether you pick the right section of your field.

I just had a glance on the nanotech program in the Uni, maths subject just appears in year one, they won't focus too much on maths afterwards
that's y I am considering 'chem eng' and 'material sci and eng.', there is more maths in these programs...
but I am interested in nanotech field, that's my main problem.
so I wonder which program is more suitable for jumping into nanotech after my undergraduate studies.

You'd probably want to do solid-state physics then, or possible chemistry with a concentration in physical chemistry. Physicists can do just about anything nowadays. Chemical and materials engineers deal mainly with bulk processes, while nanotechnology is suppose to be about controlling things on the microscopic level. Though it would be nice if you could throw a bunch of stuff in a beaker, apply heat and pressure, and get a couple moles of molecular sized motors :-).

Last edited:

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a course?

When choosing a course, you should consider your interests, career goals, academic strengths, and job market demand for the field. It is also important to research the curriculum, faculty, and resources available for the course.

2. How do I know which course is right for me?

To determine which course is right for you, you should reflect on your strengths and passions, as well as your long-term career goals. It can also be helpful to talk to current students or professionals in the field to gain insight into the course and its potential career paths.

3. What are the job prospects for graduates of this course?

The job prospects for graduates of a course can vary depending on the field and current job market conditions. It is important to research the demand for jobs in the field and potential career paths for graduates to make an informed decision.

4. What skills will I gain from this course?

The skills you will gain from a course will depend on the specific curriculum and field of study. However, most courses aim to develop critical thinking, problem-solving, communication, and technical skills that are applicable to a wide range of careers.

5. How can I determine if I am qualified for a course?

To determine if you are qualified for a course, you should review the course prerequisites and admission requirements. This may include specific academic qualifications, work experience, or entrance exams. If you do not meet the requirements, you may need to take additional courses or gain relevant experience before applying.