1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Which course should I do?

1. Apr 21, 2005 #1
    I am interested in physics, maths and a bit chemistry
    but i am not sure which course I should choose.
    I have thought about nanotechnology(BSc), but there isn't much maths in the course....
    I want to do more maths during my undergrad course.
    I wonder 'chem eng' or 'material sci & eng' is more suitable to to get in the field of nanotech. after I graduate...

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2005 #2
    Well one of my HS classmates triple majored in math, physics, and chemistry and is doing molecular electronics research.

4. Apr 21, 2005 #3
    Theres alot of math in any kind of scientific engineering. It just depends on whether you pick the right section of your field.

5. Apr 21, 2005 #4
    I just had a glance on the nanotech program in the Uni, maths subject just appears in year one, they won't focus too much on maths afterwards
    that's y I am considering 'chem eng' and 'material sci and eng.', there is more maths in these programs...
    but I am interested in nanotech field, that's my main problem.
    so I wonder which program is more suitable for jumping into nanotech after my undergraduate studies.

6. Apr 26, 2005 #5
    You'd probably want to do solid-state physics then, or possible chemistry with a concentration in physical chemistry. Physicists can do just about anything nowadays. Chemical and materials engineers deal mainly with bulk processes, while nanotechnology is suppose to be about controlling things on the microscopic level. Though it would be nice if you could throw a bunch of stuff in a beaker, apply heat and pressure, and get a couple moles of molecular sized motors :-).

Last edited: Apr 26, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?