• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Courses Which course should I take?

I'm an upper division physics transfer student and currently deciding on whether I should take a course in numerical methods for physical modelling or basic into to analogue circuits course. Here are there descriptions:

math 174 - Floating point arithmetic, direct and iterative solution of linear equations, iterative solution of nonlinear equations, optimization, approximation theory, interpolation, quadrature, numerical methods for initial and boundary value problems in ordinary differential equations.

Ece 35 - Fundamental circuit theory concepts, Kirchoff’s voltage and current laws, Thevenin’s and Norton’s theorems, loop and node analysis, time-varying signals, transient first order circuits, steady-state sinusoidal response.

As to what my future goals are , they are totally undecided. at this point I just want to gather as much knowledge as I can then go live on a farm somewhere. I guess hypothetically I would rather do work in physical modelling vs circuit design but the ece course seems like something basic that I should know... Math one seems more interesting but the ECE more useful in everyday life. Any input? Thx.

Dr. Courtney

Education Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
The numerical modeling course was very valuable for me.

MATH174 looks a lot more valuable - you can learn a lot of the circuitry stuff through classes on differential equations (input-response analysis is covered more generally there, and the rest of the stuff can likely be learned elsewhere). On the other hand 174 covers a lot of essential knowledge for an experimental or computational physicist