Which course should I take?

In summary, the speaker is an upper division physics transfer student who is deciding between two courses: a numerical methods course for physical modelling and an introductory course in analogue circuits. They are currently undecided about their future goals but are interested in gathering knowledge. The speaker is leaning towards the numerical methods course because it covers essential knowledge for experimental or computational physics, such as floating point arithmetic, linear and nonlinear equations, optimization, and numerical methods for differential equations. They believe they can learn about circuitry through other classes, such as differential equations.
T dawg
I'm an upper division physics transfer student and currently deciding on whether I should take a course in numerical methods for physical modelling or basic into to analogue circuits course. Here are there descriptions:

math 174 - Floating point arithmetic, direct and iterative solution of linear equations, iterative solution of nonlinear equations, optimization, approximation theory, interpolation, quadrature, numerical methods for initial and boundary value problems in ordinary differential equations.

Ece 35 - Fundamental circuit theory concepts, Kirchoff’s voltage and current laws, Thevenin’s and Norton’s theorems, loop and node analysis, time-varying signals, transient first order circuits, steady-state sinusoidal response.

As to what my future goals are , they are totally undecided. at this point I just want to gather as much knowledge as I can then go live on a farm somewhere. I guess hypothetically I would rather do work in physical modelling vs circuit design but the ece course seems like something basic that I should know... Math one seems more interesting but the ECE more useful in everyday life. Any input? Thx.

Physics news on Phys.org
The numerical modeling course was very valuable for me.

MATH174 looks a lot more valuable - you can learn a lot of the circuitry stuff through classes on differential equations (input-response analysis is covered more generally there, and the rest of the stuff can likely be learned elsewhere). On the other hand 174 covers a lot of essential knowledge for an experimental or computational physicist

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a course?

When choosing a course, you should consider your interests, career goals, academic strengths, and the requirements of your degree program. It is also important to research the course curriculum, teaching style, and opportunities for hands-on learning.

2. How do I know if a course is right for me?

You can determine if a course is right for you by reviewing the course description, learning outcomes, and prerequisites. You can also speak with academic advisors, current students, and professors to get a better understanding of the course and its fit for your academic and career goals.

3. Should I take a course that is outside of my major?

Taking a course outside of your major can be beneficial as it can provide a different perspective and broaden your knowledge and skills. However, it is important to consider the workload and make sure the course aligns with your academic and career goals.

4. How many courses should I take per semester?

The number of courses you should take per semester depends on your personal schedule, academic workload, and any extracurricular commitments. It is important to maintain a balance and not overload yourself with too many courses, as this can negatively impact your academic performance and overall well-being.

5. Can I change my course after enrolling?

In most cases, it is possible to change your course after enrolling. However, this may depend on the policies of your institution and the availability of the course you wish to switch to. It is important to consult with academic advisors and professors before making any changes to your course schedule.