Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which Course to Opt

1. Jun 21, 2004 #1
    I have been selected in Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) in INDIA and on the basis of my Rank I can opt for the following fields

1 Aerospace Engineering (5 yrs Dual Deg, B.Tech/M.Tech)
    2 Biotechnology (5 yrs Dual)
    3 Integrated Physics (BS/MS)
    4 Mathematics and Scientific Computing

My Preference would be 3, 1, 2, and 4

I need help in opting one of the above fields on the basis of

1 Companies which employ the Graduates from above Courses
    2 Salary
    3 No of Job opportunities, etc
    4 Demand of specialized stream in the market
    5 Type of Jobs in the above courses

Please Help me out to decide which Path to choose before Counseling due July 1, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2004 #2
    If I were you I would try to look at yahoo jobs ! You can find out what's the most popular at the moment, do companies want emplyees with experience or not, and everything else, I suppose.
  4. Jun 23, 2004 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here's another criterion...what do you think you would enjoy doing ?

Hmm...this explains why you belong in the Irodov fan club !
  5. Jun 23, 2004 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Congratulations on your acceptance!

I agree with Gokul, the most important factor in your decision should be which of those do you think you're most likely to enjoy. It really doesn't matter much if a job pays well that you hate waking up to go to every morning. All of them have good job markets, at least now. However, that's why you shouldn't choose a field by the current job market. By the time you're done in 5 years, or more if you do post-graduate work, the job market could completely shift in a different direction.

Though of course you need to make a decision and you're looking for advice, so I'll offer some, take it or leave it. Biotech is the one that is very different from the other three. If you think you want to do anything biologically oriented, do that one. As for the other three options, I'd think if you opted for aerospace engineering, the coursework in that would cover the other two fields quite well so if you changed your mind later, the AE option would give you the most choices later in life. So, maybe that will help that you can narrow those choices down to AE or biotech. I guess the way I'd look at it is that if you are limited to only 4 options, choose the one that gives you the broadest training, the courses in the most different disciplines, because you can always get a graduate degree later if you want to specialize more and the broader training gives you more options in case you change your mind about what you want to do for the rest of your life later (as most people often do).
  6. Oct 27, 2004 #5
    Himanshu, what did you finally choose?
  7. Nov 4, 2004 #6
    Aerospace Engineering
  8. Nov 4, 2004 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Congrats !! Hope you enjoy your course.
  9. Nov 4, 2004 #8
    Curious, why did you choose that if Integrated Physics was your first choice?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?