1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Which course?

1. Jan 14, 2013 #1
    Hi all,

I am currently deciding between two courses for the coming semester. I am a sophomore math and physics major, but contemplating an electrical engineering/physics postgrad program and possible career. As such, I would like to try out a more applied, lab-type course in order to explore my options and take a bit of a respite from theory courses.

Which of these two courses do you think would give a more useful skill set for undertaking meaningful future undergraduate research and/or industry internships?

1) Introduction to micro- and nanofabrication processes used for photonic and electronic devices. Students use state-of-the-art cleanroom to fabricate transistors and light-emitting diodes (LEDs). Lecures on fabrication processes, including lithography, deposition, etching, oxidation, implantation, diffusion and electrical characterization.

2) A lab-intensive introduction to electronic circuit design. Develops circuit intuition and debugging skills through daily hands-on lab exercises, each preceded by class discussion, with minimal use of mathematics and physics. Moves quickly from passive circuits, to discrete transistors, then concentrates on operational amplifiers, used to make a variety of circuits including integrators, oscillators, regulators, and filters. The digital half of the course treats analog-digital interfacing, emphasizes the use of microcontrollers and programmable logic devices (PLDs).

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2013 #2
    Any advice?

4. Jan 17, 2013 #3
    Bump...

5. Jan 17, 2013 #4
    I am almost entirely unqualified to answer this, but I have heard second hand that circuits knowledge beyond first year material is incredibly useful for experimental physics.

6. Jan 17, 2013 #5
    I vote for number 1. Knowing number the stuff from number 1 is useful and not something you can generally get from a class or text. 2 seems like something that may be easier to pick up on your own.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook