Which CS Class Will Best Prepare Me for a Programming Internship?

• Thread starter fluffy123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Class Cs
In summary, the first one of these three classes would be the best preparation for a programming internship.
fluffy123
I really want to get a programming internship next summer. Which one of these classes would be the best preparation for one?

Object Oriented and Advanced Programming (difficulty: very hard)
Database Management Systems (difficulty: moderate)
User Interface Development (difficulty: moderate)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
fluffy123 said:
I really want to get a programming internship next summer. Which one of these classes would be the best preparation for one?

Object Oriented and Advanced Programming (difficulty: very hard)
Database Management Systems (difficulty: moderate)
User Interface Development (difficulty: moderate)

What kind of programming internship are you hoping to get? Embedded system programming? Web-based programming? Smartphone application programming? IT system development? What kind of opportunities are there?

What is your programming background? What languages have you learned and used? What kinds of programs have you written so far?

I really wouldn't mind getting any programming internship. And the only language I know is C++ (just finished up a data structures class). Also, I've only done class projects.

Am I getting way in over my head? lol

EDIT: I should've mentioned that this question is for the Winter semester. In the fall, I'm taking classes titled 'Data Structures and Algorithms' (in C++) and 'computer organization' (which has to due with programming in Assembly, i believe).

Object Oriented Programming(OOP) is mostly used with the 'newer' languages out there - any .NET(VB, c#, etc), Java, Python. There's many languages that are OO - plus more non-OO languages adding object oriented features such as Perl and PHP.

OOP is odd to work with if you haven't had any experience. New things including encapsulation, polymorphism, inheritance/delegation, recursion, classes, instances, and methods are just a few key features of Object Oriented Programming. Since you have C++ experience languages such as Java and c# would come easy since C++ influenced C# and Java.

Just give it time. You will get used to it and it will be just like anything else you've learned. I recommend practicing a bit of it if you are going to take the OOP/advance programming class. It will greatly help you.

criel said:
Object Oriented Programming(OOP) is mostly used with the 'newer' languages out there - any .NET(VB, c#, etc), Java, Python. There's many languages that are OO - plus more non-OO languages adding object oriented features such as Perl and PHP.

OOP is odd to work with if you haven't had any experience. New things including encapsulation, polymorphism, inheritance/delegation, recursion, classes, instances, and methods are just a few key features of Object Oriented Programming. Since you have C++ experience languages such as Java and c# would come easy since C++ influenced C# and Java.

Just give it time. You will get used to it and it will be just like anything else you've learned. I recommend practicing a bit of it if you are going to take the OOP/advance programming class. It will greatly help you.

Do you think I should take the OOP class?

I'd say do the OOP/Programming class. It's the most generally applicable class of the three you list... for my money.

fluffy123 said:
Which one of these classes would be the best preparation for one?

... (difficulty: very hard)
... (difficulty: moderate)
... (difficulty: moderate)

The first one.

I recommend the first one.

Okay the first one it is.

Thanks!

1. What are the prerequisites for this CS class?

Prerequisites vary for each CS class, but typically include a strong foundation in computer programming and mathematics. It is important to check the course description or speak with an academic advisor to determine the specific prerequisites for the CS class you are interested in taking.

2. Will this CS class be relevant to my career goals?

It depends on your specific career goals and the content of the CS class. It is important to research the course syllabus and speak with professionals in the field to determine if the class aligns with your career aspirations.

3. How much time should I expect to spend on this CS class?

The amount of time required for a CS class can vary depending on the difficulty of the material and your personal learning style. On average, students should expect to spend 2-3 hours outside of class for every hour spent in class.

4. Are there any hands-on projects or assignments in this CS class?

Most CS classes will have some type of hands-on component, whether it be programming assignments, group projects, or lab exercises. It is important to read the course description and syllabus to determine the specific requirements for the class.

5. What is the difficulty level of this CS class?

The difficulty level of a CS class can vary depending on the individual's background and understanding of the subject matter. It is important to read the course description and speak with students who have taken the class to get a better understanding of the difficulty level.