Is the Noether current physically observable in experiments?

In summary, Noether currents are symmetry currents that depend on the fields and their transformations in a Lagrangian. The first current follows from a free fields Lagrangian and the second follows from an interacting field theory. Each current is the physical current of its corresponding theory and cannot be compared. These currents do not have a direct connection to experiments but can signify the symmetry of the theory. In fixed spacetime dimensions, the global current is conserved in gauge theory, but in cases like AdS/CFT, this may not be true.
kau
I have very simple questions. Although these are simple but I am confused. So if I start with a lagrangian of the following form $$ \mathcal{L} = \partial^{\mu}\phi \partial_{\mu} \phi^{*} -m^{2} \phi^{*} \phi $$ then I get a current for the global invariance of the lagrangian and that is of the form $$ J^{\mu}=i(\partial^{\mu} \phi \phi^{*} -\partial^{\mu} \phi^{*} \phi) ... (1 )$$Then if I demand local gauge invariance then definitely we get gauge field terms in the lagrangian. Then if we find an expression of current for the global invariance of ##\phi## field we get expression $$ J^{\mu}=i(D^{\mu}\phi \phi^{*} -D^{\mu}\phi^{*} \phi) ...(2) $$ And there is other expression for current which is conserved on local gauge invariance but they are not physical since they are not gauge invariant. But global ones are gauge invariant and therefore it's ok to have their physical presence in the theory. But I am confused that which one is physical 1 or 2 or both? One more thing is these currents or the global charge defined from it is due to the symmetry of the theory ,not external ones. So in principle we don't see them. Is this right?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Noether currents are symmetry currents. They depend on the fields (in the Lagrangian) and their transformations laws under the symmetry group of the Lagrangian. Your first current follows from the Free fields Lagrangian [tex]\mathcal{L}_{0} = \mathcal{L}_{0}(\varphi_{a} , \partial_{\mu}\varphi_{a}) ,[/tex] using [tex]J_{(1)}^{\mu} = \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}_{0}}{\partial (\partial_{\mu}\varphi_{a})} \delta \varphi_{a} .[/tex]
Your second current follows from a different Lagrangian [tex]\mathcal{L} = \mathcal{L} = \mathcal{L}(\varphi_{a} , \partial_{\mu}\varphi_{a} - i A_{\mu}\varphi_{a}) .[/tex] This Lagrangian describes an interacting field theory, its symmetry current is [tex]J_{(2)}^{\mu} = \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\partial_{\mu}\varphi_{a})} \delta \varphi_{a} = \frac{\partial{L}}{\partial A_{\mu}} .[/tex] Comparing the two currents is like comparing apples with oranges. They are the global symmetry currents of two different theories. Therefore, each current is the physical current of the corresponding theory.

Sam

Likes vanhees71 and kau
samalkhaiat said:
Noether currents are symmetry currents. They depend on the fields (in the Lagrangian) and their transformations laws under the symmetry group of the Lagrangian. Your first current follows from the Free fields Lagrangian [tex]\mathcal{L}_{0} = \mathcal{L}_{0}(\varphi_{a} , \partial_{\mu}\varphi_{a}) ,[/tex] using [tex]J_{(1)}^{\mu} = \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}_{0}}{\partial (\partial_{\mu}\varphi_{a})} \delta \varphi_{a} .[/tex]
Your second current follows from a different Lagrangian [tex]\mathcal{L} = \mathcal{L} = \mathcal{L}(\varphi_{a} , \partial_{\mu}\varphi_{a} - i A_{\mu}\varphi_{a}) .[/tex] This Lagrangian describes an interacting field theory, its symmetry current is [tex]J_{(2)}^{\mu} = \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\partial_{\mu}\varphi_{a})} \delta \varphi_{a} = \frac{\partial{L}}{\partial A_{\mu}} .[/tex] Comparing the two currents is like comparing apples with oranges. They are the global symmetry currents of two different theories. Therefore, each current is the physical current of the corresponding theory.

Sam
Ok. thanks for the response. I have another concern about this. Does this current have anything to do with experiments? can you see them in the experiment or something like that. Or this current just signify the symmetry of the theory and to some extent we can infer if there is some conserved thing like that then there is some matter present that is like having finite chemical potential. That's it.
Another thing is in Schwartz's qft book it is mentioned that in fixed spacetime dimension this thing is true although if that is not the case ( e.g. AdS/CFT) then we can have the global current conserved in gauge theory. Can you elucidate this part?

1. Which current is physical?

This question is often asked because there are multiple types of currents, including electrical, magnetic, and fluid currents. The answer is that all of these currents are physical, meaning they involve the movement of matter or energy.

2. What is the difference between physical and non-physical currents?

The main difference between physical and non-physical currents is that physical currents involve the movement of matter or energy, while non-physical currents do not. Examples of non-physical currents include financial currents or social currents.

3. How do physical currents affect our daily lives?

Physical currents play a significant role in our daily lives, especially electrical and fluid currents. Electrical currents power our homes and technology, while fluid currents such as ocean currents impact weather patterns and transportation.

4. Are physical currents always visible?

No, physical currents are not always visible. For example, electrical currents are invisible, but their effects can be seen through the use of technology. Magnetic and fluid currents may also be invisible, but their effects can be observed through the movement of objects or substances.

5. Can physical currents be harmful?

Yes, physical currents can be harmful. Electrical currents can cause electric shock or fires, while fluid currents such as strong ocean currents can be dangerous for swimmers or boaters. It is important to understand and safely handle physical currents to avoid potential harm.