Meet Nikola Tesla: My FAVORITE Dead Scientist

• Thread starter Imparcticle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scientist
In summary, the conversation is about discussing which dead scientist the participants would like to meet. Some of the scientists mentioned include Nikola Tesla, Dirac, Isaac Newton, Ben Franklin, Marie Curie, Richard Feynman, and Enrico Fermi. The participants also mention wanting to discuss various topics such as evolution, geology, and Christian theology with these scientists. One participant also mentions a documentary about Marie Curie and her colleague who had an unusual habit of talking with the side of his head facing the person. Some participants also mention their own quirks and preferences.
Imparcticle
Which dead scientist...

...would you like to meet?

I would like to meet Nikola Tesla. My FAVORITE scientist...I once had a dream I met him (that is my most favorite dream, even better than the one where I met Einstein.. :rolleyes: ). Tesla is the greatest.

Anywho, your turn. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Dirac spoke English, so he would be a natural choice. Of course, they always describe him as "taciturn" so it might be hard getting him to say much.

I would like to be able to tell Isaac Newton about Darwin's evolution theory and geology and paleontology and some other modern ideas, and see if I could talk him out of his belief in the Bible. Most people don't know that he wrote a great deal on the topic of Christian theology.

I don't think I would want to meet a dead scientist. Let's face it, most geniuses are weird.

If I had to choose, I think I would pick Ben Franklin. He's probably the most down to Earth famous scientist.

Wierd is right. I once saw a documentary about Marie Curie. One of the people interviewed worked with her. The guy, apparently, was a very respected geneticist, very "ingenius". The weird thing about him is that when he'd meet someone he'd never met before (or just someone he doesn't know very well or doesn't like), he talks to the person with the side of his head facing the person instead of his face. How annoying! haha.

What a jerk :biggrin:

I'm weird, but in a good, ninja-esque way.

Richard Feynmann. He seemed like a fun guy.

I'm with jimmy. Feynman!

cookiemonster

I'll say Fermi, just to be different, and because that's the name of my car.

I would converse with Tesla about Faust.

1. Who was Nikola Tesla and why is he your favorite dead scientist?

Nikola Tesla was a Serbian-American inventor, electrical engineer, and physicist. He is my favorite dead scientist because of his groundbreaking work in the fields of electricity and magnetism, and his contributions to modern technology such as the alternating current (AC) system.

2. What were some of Nikola Tesla's most famous inventions?

Nikola Tesla had many famous inventions, including the Tesla coil, the AC motor, and the AC generator. He also worked on wireless energy transmission, X-rays, and the radio.

3. What was Nikola Tesla's relationship with Thomas Edison?

Nikola Tesla and Thomas Edison were both inventors and pioneers in the field of electricity, and they had a competitive relationship. Tesla worked for Edison briefly before leaving due to disagreements over payment and Edison's preference for direct current (DC) over Tesla's alternating current (AC).

4. What impact did Nikola Tesla's work have on modern technology?

Nikola Tesla's work had a huge impact on modern technology, particularly in the field of electricity. His inventions and contributions to AC power systems paved the way for our use of electric power today. His work also laid the foundation for advancements in wireless communication and radio technology.

5. What are some interesting facts about Nikola Tesla?

Some interesting facts about Nikola Tesla include his photographic memory, his eccentric personality, and his belief in the potential of wireless energy transmission. He was also known for his love of pigeons and his dislike of round objects.