Which distribution of linux?

• Thread starter Dathascome
  • Start date
mheslep
Gold Member
No IM client with video and voice chat.

What's wrong w/ Ekiga or the like?

Last edited:
I have never needed to use voice chat or video chat, therefore I didn't include it. But if it is essential to your daily life, then you are right neutrino. I would not go with Linux if you rely on voice messaging
It isn't on my priority list either, but I was just pointing out that OSS doesn't have everything covered.

What's wrong w/ Ekiga or the like?
Hmm...never tried that before. Isn't it something like Skype, where the person on the other end also needs to have Ekiga? If and when I chat (very rare), it would most probably be with someone who uses Yahoo or MSN.

Last edited:
For me the prefered Linux shell is normally a text based one. I think that if those multimedia things is something importand than BlagBlag from Brixton Linux Action Group could be something interesting.

http://www.blagblagblag.org/

(Simplified Centos/RedHat distro with more focus on multimedia.)

I use Ubuntu and I really enjoy it. I used to use Slackware but it just consumed way too much time trying to manage everything manually and I don't have enough time to read all the documentation. In Ubuntu, most of everything is taken care of nicely for you and it uses the apt package manager to manage and keep track of all your installations. Although it can be used by someone with minimal Linux knowledge I strongly recommend getting to know the bash shell. I call it Windows XP for Linux...just a whole lot better :P

Last edited:
As I use Linux most of the time is via bash shell remotely via putty and Win XP.

I agree that Ubuntu is one of the best built and most user friendliest Linux distros.

ranger
Gold Member
Its a pretty damn shame that great distros such as Gentoo, Slackware, Arch, and FreeBSD are not even in the top ten at distroWatch. Looking at the current number count of available distros on distroWatch makes me pine :yuck: Linux developers need to stop competing with each other and try to improve linux as a whole.
The most tightly nit community that I've ever been apart of is most definitely the BSD community.

I think that it is really good that there is a lot of distros. I believe the main argument for reaching the top of the distrowatch is userfriendlyness.

I think one of the major advances of Linux is that there is wide range of diffrent distoes with different properties.

My personal experience is that the very nicest and most clever user forums belongs to the smaller and spesialized distoes, not the general mainstreams.

It isn't on my priority list either, but I was just pointing out that OSS doesn't have everything covered.

My mistake then, sorry. Another good point to make is that there aren't as many errors that occur when trying to run multiple applications.

I believe the main argument for reaching the top of the distrowatch is userfriendlyness.
Nah...just page hits. :biggrin:

May I ask why you are only considering Linux as an alternative operating system to install? There are many free UNIX/UNIX-like variants out there that do not all follow Linux's mis-designs and flaws. It may be advantageous to start out on the right foot by using an operating system that respects standards and presents some level of backwards compatibility to the user for future releases of the operating system.

Purely out of ignorance...I don't know much of these other free UNIX/ UNIX-type variants out there.
What are some alternatives?

No IM client with video and voice chat.

Is Pidgin no good for IM'ing?

ranger
Gold Member
Purely out of ignorance...I don't know much of these other free UNIX/ UNIX-type variants out there.
What are some alternatives?
You can try Solaris or a BSD variant usch as FreeBSD.
Is Pidgin no good for IM'ing?
But neutrino wants voice and video chat, which gaim/Pidgin doesnt have.

I'm sure other people have probably already said everything you need (I didn't actually take the time to read what everyone else had already said), but I would recommend ubuntu. I'm new to linux also, so I really don't know much. However, I tried ubuntu and mandriva. I stuck with ubuntu and haven't had any major problems yet. So yah... that's all I know.