Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which Do You Dislike More?

1. Aug 12, 2008 #1
    With regards to their assault on science, its methods and findings? Note that this is a hefty generalization.

Academic Left:

Notable ideas includes epistemic relativism, postmodernism, the blank slate, the noble savage, the ghost in the machine, culture independent from biology, gender as a social construct etc. Favorite disciplines to attack includes anthropology, evolutionary psychology, neuroscience, most forms of consilience that bridges natural and social sciences etc.

Religious-Cultural Right:

Notable ideas includes biblical literalism, original sin, abstinence only education, the ghost in the machine, creationism, the family, moral absolutism etc. Favorite disciplines to attack include evolution, neuroscience, sociology, certain parts of cultural anthropology etc.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2008 #2
    My professor told me that some 30 years ago he had "feminists" protesting his school, because of all the new particles they were detecting. Apparently it was a phallic symbol to create all those particles or something.
  4. Aug 13, 2008 #3
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  5. Aug 13, 2008 #4
    Those damn feminists. When's someone gonna do something about them?
    As far as the generalization goes I can not stand the religious right. I don't have a problem with the religious part, just the I'm right and anyone who doesn't agree me me is wrong and is going to hell part.
  6. Aug 13, 2008 #5
    Apparently, E = mc2 is also discriminatory and elitist, since it privileges just one of the many, many speeds there are, and on top of that, the highest. What a patriarchal wester orthodoxy!

Also, calling rape 'natural' or that it occurs frequently in nature somehow justifies it.
  7. Aug 13, 2008 #6
    I have never heard anyone try to justify rape. What kind of people do you hang around with?
  8. Aug 13, 2008 #7
    No, a bunch of feminists got upset because of the academic book "A Natural History of Rape: Biological Bases of Sexual Coercion" and claimed that explaining the natural mechanisms behind it would somehow legitimize the act itself.
  9. Aug 13, 2008 #8
    Call it "organic" next time.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?