Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which encyclopaedia to buy ?

1. May 25, 2003 #1
    Britannica, Grolier, Encarta or what ?

Which is better ?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2003 #2
    Brittanica is, in my opinion, easily the best researched and most reliable of all of those...although, like the OED, to get the absolute best from it would require getting the full multi-volume complete edition, which is somewhat expensive. Encyclopaedias, like dictionaries, tend not to differ that much in their concise one or two volume or CD-ROM editions, so there's pobably not that much to choose between.
  4. May 27, 2003 #3
    Just ask me. The Encyclopedia Adam. I may be full of crap, but at least I'm free.
  5. May 28, 2003 #4
    It depends

Best encyclopedia is Bratanicca. Of course most popular is encarta. Encarta is preferred since it's ease of use. I use Encarta but they are equally good. But bratannica is better.
  6. May 28, 2003 #5
    That's what she said.

7. May 30, 2003 #6
    Who or what is "she"?
  8. May 31, 2003 #7
    Britannica Is the best If you're looking for something proffesional , but If you are want something for kids , try Encarta , it's more easy to use.

But Britannica contains LOTS of typos , I have Britannica 2002 , and I noticed LOTS of typos is some issues.
  9. Jun 1, 2003 #8
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?