1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Which engineering degree?

1. Nov 21, 2011 #1
    Well, I have made my choice in deciding to go into engineering. I have 1 problem though, I'm not sure which type to major in. I really like computers, know how to program sufficiently, am good with electronics, and I like mechanical type things. This leads me in three different directions: computer, electrical, and mechanical.

I have 3 main questions.. (please answer from best to least)
    1) Which is the easiest to find a job in.
    2) Pay
    3) Reliability (will be long term, or will still be viable when I graduate)

I can pretty much rule out electrical, but I'm not positive yet.

Thanks for any answers.

EDIT: 1 last question, can anyone explain exactly what computer engineers will be doing? Is it programming, hardware design/testing, or both?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2011 #2

fss

1) Meaningless. It is not "easy" to find a job.
    2) Google "average engineering salary" if you want an average.
    3) All engineering fields are going to be around for a long, long time.

4. Nov 25, 2011 #3
    I'm in the telecommunications field ... I wish I could do pure science =)
    Enginneerring is hard .... needs a lot of mental rigour, however because of my scholarship i am job secured ....

http://www.youtube.com/user/SonOfTerra92

5. Nov 25, 2011 #4
    fss speaks the truth. I could tell you what is today, but things change.

Some fields are known for being unstable, but that doesn't mean you couldn't build a career with it.

Some fields are known for being tough to get in to. But diligence can overcome that.

As for salary, while you won't starve in this business, you won't make piles of money either. The track from engineer to executive is not easy. Frankly, executives look down upon engineers as the necessary nerds. There is a saying: "To get a product out the door you must first shoot the engineers." Not many firms have built engineering in to the culture, regardless of what the marketeers say.

Engineering doesn't sell. The money is in marketing, sales, finance, --the stuff you learn in business school.

That's where the real money is.

6. Nov 25, 2011 #5
    If you want money just be a lobbyist in DC. If you have no morals then it should be no problem

7. Nov 25, 2011 #6
    Sounds like you would enjoy Computer Engineering since it does have plenty of Electrical Engineering as well. Mechanical is very different from CompE and EE. Here in the U.S there will be a growth for demand for Engineers, so I wouldn't worry too much about job prospects. As for your 2nd question, follow what fss said. I don't understand your third question. As for your edit1 question, my computer engineering prof told me for the first few years, you will be a systems checker. You will be given a code/design and it will be your job to break it to where it won't work (keep in mind that the code will be very difficult to break since this code is coming from engineers with year's of experience in design). With a few years of that, you would then be able to design your own code/designs. You will program of course and that is how you will design stuff.

If you want to find out more about what CompE's, EE's or what ME's do as well as other information regarding Engineering here in the U.S, I would go to this site:

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos027.htm

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook