1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which field to go into?

1. Mar 1, 2007 #1
    I'm almost done my bachelor's degree, majoring in mathematical physics. I'm trying to decide what to do with it... There are so may fields to choose from, I was hoping you guys could offer a few suggestions. I can't see myself working in academia, I'd much rather be in industry, and eventually owning my own business somehow related to my studies.

The biggest thing for me (aside from being interested in the area) is the ability to start a business, a successful one. But I don't know what areas of physics/engineering would be good for that. If you guys could give me some ideas of areas you think are good for that, that would at least give me somewhere to start looking.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2007 #2
    We don't know much about your background or interests, which makes this more difficult.

Are you asking what your further education should be, or what job to pursue? Most physics BS's are weak degrees by themselves. Add some programing, digital control and modeling experience and things change dramatically.

I think we probably need to know a bit more about you and your interests.
  4. Mar 1, 2007 #3
    An MBA might be a good start.
  5. Mar 1, 2007 #4
    I'm looking for ideas for either further study, or that I can do with my BSc, that would be possible to turn into my own business. Any ideas I get here, I'll look more into, see which ones interest me, and decide from there. I'm not necessarily going to do something suggested here, I'm just looking for somewhere to start. If it's something that interests me, but needs more study, not a big deal, I'll study more. I'm just looking for general ideas.

PS. My wife is the business major.
  6. Mar 1, 2007 #5
    I guess I should clarify a little more. I'm interested in a lot of areas of physics (actually, I have yet to find an area that doesn't interest me), but also have the goal of eventually owning my own business. I was hoping I could get some insight into which fields might lend themselves to opening a business, so I could look more into them, and see which interests me the most, or which I could see myself doing for a career.
  7. Mar 2, 2007 #6
    look at quantitative finance.......... if you like randomness of the world.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?