Which fields of physics are good to specialize in?

In summary, the fields of quantum computing, classical mechanics, electronics, atomic and molecular sciences, high energy particle physics, nuclear physics, and biophysics are expected to experience significant growth in the next few decades due to technological advancements and human progress. While engineers may be preferred for certain jobs, physicists will still play a crucial role in these fields. In particular, condensed matter physics and biophysics are promising areas for specialization and offer opportunities for interdisciplinary research and practical applications. The development of a useful quantum computer, while experimental at the moment, will require collaboration between physicists, engineers, and programmers to reach a level of commercial use.
ZapperZ said:
But this advice goes both ways! We need to be mindful of what we recommend and speculate! After all, one can easily lead a student into a field of study that will be does not lead to anywhere!

So take what you just wrote and apply it to those who seem to think they know what area of physics they like to recommend.

Zz.

I agree. Consider what I wrote on post #32:
I think when questions like this get asked, there should be a reasonable expectation that the best anyone of us can do is to give our own speculation based on current patterns in terms of demand for specific fields within physics (or science and technology more broadly), with the caveat that circumstances can change.

Physics news on Phys.org
StatGuy2000 said:
I agree. Consider what I wrote on post #32:

And how many people in this thread who made such explicit recommendation of a field of study who made no such qualification, but you never jumped all over them? Instead, when one of us made the caution of why some of us refuse to do the same, you somehow are bringing up all theses excuses and caveats.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
And how many people in this thread who made such explicit recommendation of a field of study who made no such qualification, but you never jumped all over them? Instead, when one of us made the caution of why some of us refuse to do the same, you somehow are bringing up all theses excuses and caveats.

Zz.

@ZapperZ, I have neither the time nor the inclination to respond to every single post in this thread (I work full-time and otherwise live a very busy life). And frankly, I am not a physicist so am not qualified to know whether specific research fields will likely lead to more opportunities.

Also, when I see people give specific explicit recommendations, I know implicitly that they are basing their recommendations on current patterns and are extrapolating into the future, with the caveat that things could change. Anyone who reads into this without knowing this -- well, that's their own fault!

ZapperZ said:
how many people in this thread who made such explicit recommendation of a field of study who made no such qualification,

Part of the issue is that these threads are magnets for our junior high crowd. I have no idea why.

StatGuy2000 said:
@ZapperZ, I have neither the time nor the inclination to respond to every single post in this thread (I work full-time and otherwise live a very busy life). And frankly, I am not a physicist so am not qualified to know whether specific research fields will likely lead to more opportunities.

Then may I suggest that you don't take sides.

Zz.

Vanadium 50 said:
Part of the issue is that these threads are magnets for our junior high crowd. I have no idea why.

Of course it is -- it's in junior high or high school that students are beginning to think of (a) whether to go to college/university, and (b) what to study if they do decide to go.

Likes symbolipoint
I didn't mean asking advice...I meant providing advice.

Likes StatGuy2000
Vanadium 50 said:
I didn't mean asking advice...I meant providing advice.

That is a mystery to me too.:confused: