Which finite elements to use

In summary, a 3rd year engineering student is currently studying computer methods for structural analysis, specifically finite elements. The student is having difficulty choosing between CST, LST, Q4, and Q8 elements for different models. They are looking for a resource that provides the characteristics and uses of these elements, possibly with examples. It is advised to avoid triangles and tets due to "shear locking," and using quads is a better option even for highly nonuniform meshes. The student can provide more personal background and information about the course and FEA software used for more detailed answers.
Dell
i am a 3rd year engineering student currently a course in computer methods for structural analysis, as a part of the course we are learning about finite elemnts, we have learned about CST LST Q4 and Q8, but i am having difficulty deciding which element to use for different models.
does anyone know of a site or something that has the characteristics and uses for each of these elements, maybe even with some examples?

Physics news on Phys.org
Triangles and tets are, in general, not advisable due to "shear locking."
You can always use quads, even if you're mesh is highly nonuniform.

Feel free to provide more personal background, the objective of the course you're taking, what (if any) commercial FEA software you are using, etc., and I can perhaps give more detailed answers.

What is the purpose of using finite elements in scientific research?

The use of finite elements in scientific research allows for the approximation of complex systems or structures through the use of simpler, more manageable elements. This allows for the solution of complex problems that would be impossible to solve using traditional analytical methods.

How do I determine which finite elements to use for my research?

The choice of finite elements depends on the specific problem being studied. Factors such as the geometry, material properties, and boundary conditions of the system must be considered. It is important to consult with experts in the field and conduct thorough research to determine the most appropriate elements for your specific application.

What are the limitations of using finite elements in research?

While finite elements can provide accurate approximations for many problems, they also have limitations. These include the assumption of linear behavior, the need for proper meshing and boundary conditions, and potential errors in the solution due to numerical methods. It is important to understand these limitations and validate results through experimentation or comparison with analytical solutions.

Can finite elements be used for any type of problem?

Finite elements can be used to solve a wide range of problems in various fields such as structural mechanics, fluid dynamics, and heat transfer. However, they may not be suitable for every type of problem, and other numerical methods may be more appropriate. It is important to consult with experts and carefully consider the specific requirements of your research before deciding on the use of finite elements.

How can I ensure the accuracy of my results when using finite elements?

The accuracy of finite element results depends on various factors such as the element type, mesh density, and solution method. To ensure the accuracy of your results, it is important to carefully select appropriate elements, use a refined mesh, and validate the results through experimentation or comparison with analytical solutions. It is also important to consider potential sources of error and take steps to minimize them.