Calculating Stopping Distance of Car: Formula & Var. Explanation

• Thread starter laneschmidt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the problem involved calculating the stopping distance of a car given its initial velocity, time of deceleration, and uniform acceleration. The student attempted to use the equation d=Vi*t+0.5at^2 but got the wrong answer due to incorrect use of the acceleration value. They then successfully used the equation d=(Vi+Vf)/2t to get the correct answer. They express confusion about when to use each equation and ask for clarification.
laneschmidt
This is a classic case of using the wrong formula for the question. My problem is that, using the given information, both formulas could've been used (to the best of my knowledge)

1. Homework Statement
A car traveling at 22.4 m/s comes to a stop in 2.55 s. Determine the stopping distance of the car, assuming that acceleration is uniform.

Homework Equations

Let d=displacement
d=Vi*t+0.5at2
d=(Vi+Vf)/2t
a=∆v/t[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I determined that the rate of acceleration was 8.78 m/s^2→ 22.4 m/s/2.55 s = 8.78 m/s2
2. I had all the variables needed so I used the above equation:
d=(22.4 m/s)(2.55 s) + 0.5(8.78 m/s2)(2.55)2
d=85.7 m (wrong answer)

3. After some confusion I decided to try another equation, the latter equation above:
d=(22.4 m/s + 0 m/s)/2(2.55 s)
d=28.6 m (right answer)[/B]

This confuses me. Clearly I do not know when to use each equation, even when both could be used with respect to the variables given. Some insight on this would be appreciated! Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your first method is correct if you use the correct (negative) sign for the acceleration.

Chet

Likes laneschmidt
Thanks Chet! I overlooked the fact that the car was decelerating.

1. What is the formula for calculating stopping distance of a car?

The formula for calculating stopping distance of a car is: Stopping distance = Thinking distance + Braking distance.

2. What is the thinking distance?

The thinking distance is the distance a car travels while the driver reacts to a situation and applies the brakes.

3. What factors affect the braking distance of a car?

The factors that affect the braking distance of a car include: the speed of the car, the condition of the road surface, the condition of the car's brakes, and the weight of the car.

4. How does speed affect the stopping distance of a car?

The higher the speed of a car, the longer the stopping distance will be. This is because the car is moving at a faster rate and therefore, it will take longer to come to a complete stop.

5. How can the stopping distance of a car be reduced?

The stopping distance of a car can be reduced by maintaining a safe driving speed, keeping the car's brakes in good condition, and being aware of road conditions and reacting accordingly. It is also important to keep a safe following distance from other vehicles to allow for enough time to brake in case of an emergency.