Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Which formula?

1. May 9, 2006 #1
    Hi
    How do i calculate the power transmitted by a clutch at a particular speed with a coefficient of friction between the shoes and drum?
    I can't find any reference in my text book.:confused:

Cheers

Daredvl

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2006 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I can't say that I have any other references than those for disc or conical clutches. Do either of these meet your criteria?

4. May 10, 2006 #3

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can add to Fred's offer of help with disc, conical, multi-plate and centrifugal clutches....

5. May 10, 2006 #4
    Thank you :-)

The problem involves a centrifugal clutch

The question is..

Determine the power transmittedby the clutchwhen speed of rotation is600rev/min. Co-efficient of friction is 0.3.

I have values for force and radius, i just don't know what formula to use or how to calculate the power :cry:

Cheers

Ian

6. May 10, 2006 #5

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Without having a book in front of me, I would venture that you calculate the torque that is transmitted due to the frictional force and then use the torque and speed to calculate the power.

7. May 11, 2006 #6
    Coef of friction

Yes i thought that would be the way but, where does the coefficient of friction fit in?

Cheers

Ian

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook