1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which formula?

1. May 9, 2006 #1
    Hi
    How do i calculate the power transmitted by a clutch at a particular speed with a coefficient of friction between the shoes and drum?
    I can't find any reference in my text book.:confused:

Cheers

Daredvl

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2006 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I can't say that I have any other references than those for disc or conical clutches. Do either of these meet your criteria?

4. May 10, 2006 #3

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can add to Fred's offer of help with disc, conical, multi-plate and centrifugal clutches....

5. May 10, 2006 #4
    Thank you :-)

The problem involves a centrifugal clutch

The question is..

Determine the power transmittedby the clutchwhen speed of rotation is600rev/min. Co-efficient of friction is 0.3.

I have values for force and radius, i just don't know what formula to use or how to calculate the power :cry:

Cheers

Ian

6. May 10, 2006 #5

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Without having a book in front of me, I would venture that you calculate the torque that is transmitted due to the frictional force and then use the torque and speed to calculate the power.

7. May 11, 2006 #6
    Coef of friction

Yes i thought that would be the way but, where does the coefficient of friction fit in?

Cheers

Ian

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?