Why Are 5x and 2x Considered to Grow at the Same Rate?

• Thread starter minase
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, when comparing two functions and determining which one goes faster, the constant factors do not make a significant difference. This is because we are often dealing with infinitely large or small terms, and the limit of their ratio is what truly determines their growth rate. In some cases, a constant factor may affect the growth rate, but in general, they can be disregarded.
minase
If you are given two functions and asked which function goes faster. You divide on function by the other and you use lopitals rule. If your ratio gives you a constant it is said the two fuction grow at the same rate. I can't understand why 5x and 2x would be growing at the same rate. 5=2? Isn't rate 5 for 5x and 2 for 2x. how is it 5x and 2x growing at the same rate?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
remember that we are talking for infinitely large or small terms, so the fact that 5>2 does not make any change, since lim(5x/2x)=5/2, when x->infinity, so actually here f(x)=5x and f(x)=2x grow at the same rate. Because 5* infinity is also infinity,and 2* infinity is also infinity, so 5, and 2 and any other constand do not really make any change. They would not grow at the same rate if we would have let's say f(x)=5x^3 and f(x)=2x, in this case f(x)=5x^3 , would grow at a faster rate, since the limit of their ratio when x-> infinity,would give you either 0 or infinity, depends whic function you take as a denominator,and which as a numerator.

anyone correct me if i am wrong!

"Which function goes faster" makes no sense. I think you are asking "which function goes to infinity faster" which can be determined by
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty}\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}[/itex]
If that limit is a finite, non-zero, number, then f= O(g) (and g= O(f)). If it is 0, then f= o(g). If it is infinite, then g= o(g).

minase said:
If you are given two functions and asked which function goes faster. You divide on function by the other and you use lopitals rule. If your ratio gives you a constant it is said the two fuction grow at the same rate. I can't understand why 5x and 2x would be growing at the same rate. 5=2?
I agreee that's kinda stupid terminology .Get used to it.
It makes more sense to me to say f1(x)=5x grows "faster" than f2(x)=2x for [itex]x\in\mathbb{R^+}[/itex].

HallsofIvy said:
If it is 0, then f= o(g). If it is infinite, then g= o(g).
at the last one i think halls meant
g= o(f), since at this case g(x) is said to be of a higher order than f, considering that both of them are infinitely small.

HallsofIvy;1285869[tex said:
\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty}\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}[/itex]
If that limit is a finite, non-zero, number, then f= O(g) (and g= O(f)). If it is 0, then f= o(g). If it is infinite, then g= o(g).

yeah and if f, and g are infinitely large when x->infinity, than it is vice verse

sutupidmath said:
yeah and if f, and g are infinitely large when x->infinity, than it is vice verse

Actually, I was assuming that f and g are unbounded so I'm not sure what you mean by "vice versa".

minase said:
If you are given two functions and asked which function goes faster. You divide on function by the other and you use lopitals rule. If your ratio gives you a constant it is said the two fuction grow at the same rate. I can't understand why 5x and 2x would be growing at the same rate. 5=2? Isn't rate 5 for 5x and 2 for 2x. how is it 5x and 2x growing at the same rate?
You should consider "the same rate" a technical term with a technical definition that may or may not relate to a common English interpretation of those same words.

We use this definition because it's useful. Constant factors are often irrelevant. In analysis, there is no difference between "x goes to zero" and "4x goes to zero". In computer science, we choose up front to ignore the constant factors, so that we can prove things in generality without having to worry about the architectural differences between different computers, or the optimization skill of the programmer / compiler, et cetera.

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between linear and exponential functions?

Linear functions have a constant rate of change, while exponential functions have a constant ratio of change. This means that exponential functions grow much faster than linear functions.

2. How do I determine which function goes faster?

The best way to determine which function goes faster is by looking at the rate of change. Exponential functions will have a steeper slope or rate of change compared to linear functions, indicating that they grow faster.

3. Can a linear function ever go faster than an exponential function?

No, a linear function can never go faster than an exponential function. Exponential functions have an increasing rate of growth, while linear functions have a constant rate of growth. This means that exponential functions will always surpass linear functions in terms of growth.

4. Are there any real-world examples of exponential growth?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of exponential growth. Some examples include population growth, compound interest, and the spread of diseases. In all of these cases, the growth rate increases over time, leading to exponential growth.

5. How can I use the concept of function speed in my research or experiments?

The concept of function speed can be useful in many scientific fields, such as biology, economics, and physics. Understanding the rate of change of a function can help in predicting future outcomes, analyzing data, and making informed decisions. It can also be used to compare and contrast different systems or processes and determine which one is more efficient or effective.