Which generation is the least intellegent?

• Thread starter Topher925
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Generation
In summary, the author believes that my generation is the dumbest and that we have no chance against the status quo. He also believes that we are the most tolerant and social gifted generation.

Which generation do you find the least intellegent?(Ages based on year 2008)

• 18-24

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • 25-31

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 32-38

• 39-45

• 46-52

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • 53-59

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • 60-66

• 67-73

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters
glondor said:
I guess the largest age demographic would have the largest group of intelligent people. I do not think intelligence is a function of age as much as experience is. Largest age group wins.

But you have to admit, babies are pretty stupid. No matter how many of them there are.
Art said:
If IQ is accepted as a measure of intelligence then each generation is, on average, smarter than it's predecessor as scores have increased (in the lower end of the distribution only) by about 3 points per decade, thought to be a result of greater cognitive stimulation and better nutrition. However there are indications this growth has slowed considerably or even stopped in the developed countries since the mid 90's (Probably because of computer games and mobile phones :biggrin:).

It's called the Flynn Effect.

Whoa, the Flynn Effect has slowed down? I hadn't heard that.

Government conspiracy! It's the fluorine in the water! We have to protect our precious bodily fluids!

Physics news on Phys.org
CaptainQuasar said:
But you have to admit, babies are pretty stupid. No matter how many of them there are.

If you consider 18 to 24 year olds babies I guess you are right, maybe. If you are talking about real babies ( they are not a choice in the survey) I would think they are incredibly intelligent based on the fact that they learn more in the first 3 years than I can even quantify. Going from a wiggly blob in a diaper to running, talking, playing and communicating effectivly in the first three years is prolly equal to a phd later in life. and Many are confusing intelligence with education achievements I think

Moonbear said:
Agreed. I do also notice differences in how much effort students will put into their studies. The current cohort of students seems a bit lazier when it comes to not reading their textbooks than previous generations. It doesn't apply to everyone, of course, but more in terms of what's typical of the group. But that's not an intelligence issue, rather it's motivation.

I agree too.

I'm in graduate school and it's the same problem. If it doesn't improve, I may look for a teaching job and when I land one, I will drop out. I feel like I'm wasting my time in this program. It's new Master's program and everything is so unorganized.

I will still do my Master's at the part-time level though.

It's disheartening that it came about like this.

And I think it's going to be more common with graduate students and not just undergraduates. I see lots of students wanting to do graduate school and are not of high quality. The other student under my supervisor has 95% undergraduate average and she didn't want to take my Help Center hour (doctor appointment) because she was uncomfortable with the Linear Algebra material. The topic of the week was determinants! And our specialization is Number Theory focused on Algebra! What the ****?! Sorry, my language. I bet you $10, 000 that she has no idea what the First Isomorphism Theorem is and she got 100% in the senior level algebra class.

glondor said:
CaptainQuasar said:

If you consider 18 to 24 year olds babies I guess you are right, maybe. If you are talking about real babies ( they are not a choice in the survey) I would think they are incredibly intelligent based on the fact that they learn more in the first 3 years than I can even quantify. Going from a wiggly blob in a diaper to running, talking, playing and communicating effectivly in the first three years is prolly equal to a phd later in life. and Many are confusing intelligence with education achievements I think

They learn a new language. With that alone they surpass everyone.

It's not easy learning a new language under 3 years. Also, in French and English families here, they learn both at the same time and KNOW the distinction between the TWO!

Statistically, 53-59 generation scores second. What's so special about that generation?

rootX said:
Statistically, 53-59 generation scores second. What's so special about that generation?
That no one that voted is in that age range?

BTW, that's not a generation. Not unless someone has a child at age six, and their six year old has a child... That poll should refect, two, maybe three generations tops.

glondor said:
If you are talking about real babies ( they are not a choice in the survey) I would think they are incredibly intelligent based on the fact that they learn more in the first 3 years than I can even quantify. Going from a wiggly blob in a diaper to running, talking, playing and communicating effectivly in the first three years is prolly equal to a phd later in life. and Many are confusing intelligence with education achievements I think
JasonRox said:
They learn a new language. With that alone they surpass everyone.

It's not easy learning a new language under 3 years. Also, in French and English families here, they learn both at the same time and KNOW the distinction between the TWO!
Did you guys see the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-wj6ppCYM8" up above? If you let someone dress you up as a roast turkey or a Cæsar salad, you're dumb. I don't care how many languages you can gurgle in! :tongue2:

Last edited by a moderator:
CaptainQuasar said:
Did you guys see the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-wj6ppCYM8" up above? If you let someone dress you up as a roast turkey or a Cæsar salad, you're dumb. I don't care how many languages you can gurgle in! :tongue2:
What if you "want" to dress up as a roast turkey...

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
What if you "want" to dress up as a roast turkey...

Well, if you want to dress as a roast turkey, that's a different story. Then you're not dumb, you're just a turkey.

(Y'know, I've heard that J. Edgar Hoover liked to dress up as a roast turkey.)

Last edited: