1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which graduate course should I take next semester in Mathematics?

1. Oct 31, 2011 #1
    Hi. This is a bit of a follow up to this topic:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=544643"
    which describes my struggle to pass a tough graduate Analysis class while dealing with the cognitive side-effects of medications I take for treatment-resistant Bipolar Disorder.

So I am trying to pick classes to take next semester (should they not kick me out). Here are some of my options:

1. Algebra I (Abstract/ Modern Algebra)- theory of groups and rings. I am taking this one for sure. I love Abstract Algebra and did really well in it as an undergraduate even while taking the same medications I take now. So I am confident I can do well.

2. Analysis II- measure theory and analytic function theory...also complex variables. I want to take this class, but it is with the professor I have for Analysis I this semester in which I have a 20% in. I don't know if it is a bad idea to tackle this class next semester or to wait until Spring 2013 when another person is teaching it. Let me know.

3. Extremal Combinatorics: This is an advanced class and suggests prerequisites of courses I never took. So I don't think it is a good idea. But feel free to tell me what topics are in Extremal Combinatorics.

4. Finite Element Exterior Calculus:This class is lower-level (600 level) and says that no prerequisites are needed other than mathematical maturity. Tell me about this course.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted