Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which graduate field for fusion research?

  1. Apr 16, 2005 #1


    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    Which graduate field would be best if you want to help out in determining a way to harness fusion power at a net result and such? I was told plasma physics would be a good field if i wanna go into that sort of research.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2005 #2
    The name of the field which studies applications of fusion is nuclear engineering.
  4. Apr 17, 2005 #3
    It seems I chose the correct major, then. However, do not define a certain major as being associated with fusion research. Electrical and civil engineers as well as physicists are needed to contine to progress in this field, it is a group effort of many science and engineering fields.

    I also will not limit myself, I plan to study a little about plasma physics even though my major at this college does not require it for a bachelor's degree in nuclear engineering. Does anyone have any advise as to where one can get a good education in fusion, I am willing to go abroad if that is what is required.
  5. Apr 22, 2005 #4


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

    Princeton has a Plasma Physics Institute - http://www.pppl.gov/

    UCSD also has a program and General Atomics is nearby - http://www-ferp.ucsd.edu/ , http://aries.ucsd.edu/FERP/ [Broken]

    Fusion energy generation requires the combined effort of physics and engineers. In the engineering area, fusion is one aspect of nuclear engineering. However, fusion power plants, as any power plant, requires an interdisciplinary approach involving electrical engineers (power conversion and system control), mechanical engineering, and materials science and engineering.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook