Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which guru awards will we have this year?

1. Aug 13, 2005 #1

honestrosewater

Gold Member

It's early, but I need all the time I can get. :biggrin: Will we have the same awards as last year?

Due to some valuable insights from the communication thread, I think we should have a Communicator Guru. (Please, it's the only chance I have! :puppy-eyes:)

Oh, and I think we need a puppy-eyes smiley too.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2005 #2

Lisa!

Gold Member

What was the award last year?

4. Aug 13, 2005 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last year we had the following "serious" categories:
    Physics Guru
    Math Guru
    Engineering Guru
    Biology Guru
    Chemistry Guru
    Astronomy & Cosmology Guru
    Technology Guru
    Philosophy Guru

Then there were the "fun" categories of:
    Community Spirit Award
    Funniest Member Award

I think that was it (I hope I haven't forgotten any). These are the ribbons you see under people's names.

5. Aug 13, 2005 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

There should be an award for the member that has a statue made in his image

6. Aug 13, 2005 #5

Lisa!

Gold Member

Thanks. And the funniest member was tribdog, am I right? :wink:

7. Aug 13, 2005 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There's a cute Puppy Dog Eyes smiley at this site:
    http://www.screamingelectron.org/forum/misc.php?do=showsmilies

I also like the one they call Icon Confused, though I wouldn't say it's confused, it's more like what I've been wanting as a milder form of :yuck: You know, sort of the "I think I just ate a bug" expression instead of the "I KNOW I just ate a bug" expression. :biggrin:

Oh, and this one has a groan smiley that we really need for that stupid jokes thread! :biggrin:

http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/misc.php?do=showsmilies

They also have a puppy dog eyes smiley, but in yellow instead of blue. I think I like the blue one better though.

I also still think we need to replace the cool smiley in the smilies list with the more cool blue one down in the post icons list. The blue one actually looks cool, the orange one looks geeky! (On second thought, the orange one looks like Russ in his pictures from Mexico...sunburnt and sunglasses! :rofl:)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2005
  8. Aug 13, 2005 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, he was, but we threw him into the volcano as promised, or maybe being a tribdog, he just fell in. :uhh: I think there's going to be a lot more competition for that award this year, and it'll be a really tough choice!

9. Aug 13, 2005 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

We had a category for "Most improved member", but no one nominated anyone for it, so it was dropped. I do have someone that wants that ribbon, so I will ask Greg if he will add it back to the list. Anyone else want to be labeled "most improved member" for a year?

10. Aug 13, 2005 #9

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

You're not planning to have the category "Most deproved (depraved?deprived?) member" are you? :uhh:

11. Aug 13, 2005 #10

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Did you have someone in mind? :tongue:

12. Aug 13, 2005 #11

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ah, c'mon. You'd be a shoe-in (shoo-in?) if we a had a guru award for formal logic. :smile:

13. Aug 13, 2005 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I suppose that's the sort of category where you'd really need people to nominate themselves, or else you'd risk insulting someone. If noone else wants the title, can it just be awarded to the person who wants it by default? It's not much of an election if there's no competition.

14. Aug 13, 2005 #13

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

What about the PF Darwin Award? This is for a member who has done the most stupid thing on here and shouldn't be allowed to propagate his or her genes for the sake of human evolution?

<runs away ducking from being pelted by rotten tomatoes>

Zz.

15. Aug 13, 2005 #14

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Yes, I like the blue puppy dog eyes and the green groan. :approve:
    Hm, geeky v. Russ in his pictures from Mexico. I fail to see the distinction. :cool:

16. Aug 13, 2005 #15
    I think thats a pretty original idea. But who of the inane delusional people should it go to..? :P

17. Aug 13, 2005 #16

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Great!!! The Battle is nearer again!!! Do you remember the quarrels of the last year? I have never read such flames in those infernal posts as the ones written in that time. By that time, every PFer clicked this page with fear, like in a Western film when one walked by those empty sand roads..... :rolleyes: The fighting was excellent. I think PF figures of enrollment increased those days a lot (I don't really know if it was for wacthing the fight or for giving strange votes...), so Greg and Tom will be glad of celebrating again the gurú awards. :rofl:

18. Aug 13, 2005 #17

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Chemsitry guru award discussion

It might be a good idea to post an explicit "sticky" of some sort in outlining/suggesting some qualities to be considered in making a vote. I admit that most guru awards were given to well deserved and qualified members, such as in reference to biology, engineering, math, spirit categories

the chemistry category was somewhat bogus in my opinion, if one is to wear such a significant badge for one whole year I think that at least, he/she should stick around. Our chemistry guru has been absent for several months, and btw I think that he had somewhat cheated out of desparation (why he was so desparate to attain the award, I'm not quite sure)...you all know who "he" is. Most of his posts, as you can very well tell, were copied from google sources, and weren't pertinent.

Here are some suggestions

-shows dedication to the forums, is efficient, courteous, and professional in aiding in the learning process
    -his/her replies/answers are accurate over time and on the mark....essentially the "guru" aspect
    -he/she is at least in the graduate or very near graduate level

If not any of the above, than some effective measures to avoid "cheating"

In light of the above statements, I would say that I'm not so qualified for the guru award, since I'm still in my undergraduate years; also I will be very busy this fall/spring since its my last year and I'm taking anal chem, phy chem. intr anal, mega lab and possibly more (one is supposed to take anal, then phy, than intr, than mega). I don't dedicate myself to providing professional answers, that is I have more fun with my postings.

movies seems to be somewhat qualified, however his expertise is very much limited to organic chem and thus he hardly even posts here at PF. Gokul is pretty adept in answering some of the physical chemistry questions, afterall I believe his major is related to chemistry (inorganic chemistry?). In my opinion there is no true well rounded chemistry guru at PF although there are plenty who dedicate there time and effort to answer the questions

19. Aug 13, 2005 #18

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Yes, this is the essence of gurulity.

20. Aug 13, 2005 #19

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Actually, it isn't an original idea at all. There really is a "Darwin Award" given out unofficially each year to people who did really dumb things.

http://www.darwinawards.com/

:)

Zz.

21. Aug 13, 2005 #20

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OOOOpSS! I think I have no chance this year!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?