Which Halliday-Resnick Physics edition for pGRE prep?

In summary, the main difference between the Halliday-Resnick Physics 5th and 6th editions for pGRE prep is the inclusion of new content and updated problems in the 6th edition. The 6th edition also has a new chapter on modern physics, more practice problems, and improved explanations for concepts. Both editions are suitable for pGRE preparation, but the 6th edition may be more beneficial due to its updated content and additional practice problems. The difficulty level between the two editions is similar, but the 6th edition may have more challenging problems. The 5th edition is still a valuable resource for pGRE preparation, but it may be beneficial to supplement with additional practice problems from the 6th edition
Lavabug
I'm looking to get a copy of a classic physics text that will serve as good preparation for the elementary subjects on the pgre(mechanics, thermal, optics). I see Griffith's gets recommended a lot for E&M and I've got most of the modern subjects covered, but what edition of Halliday's Physics should I get? The cheapest edition I've found is the 60's-70's "2 volumes in one" edition which I'm thumbing through right now. Are the more modern editions with Walker or Krane significantly better for pGRE preparation? I believe Krane's has more questions especially of the multiple choice type, would that be a better choice?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are looking for a classic text to prepare for the PGRE, the best choice would be the 2 volumes in one edition of Halliday's Physics. This edition covers all the topics you need to know for the exam and is probably the most comprehensive edition available. The more modern editions with Walker or Krane might have more multiple choice questions, but they generally focus more on more advanced topics which aren't required for the PGRE. Therefore, the 2 volumes in one edition is probably the best choice for your needs.

1. What is the difference between the Halliday-Resnick Physics 5th and 6th editions for pGRE prep?

The main difference between the two editions is the inclusion of new content and updated problems in the 6th edition. This edition also has a new chapter on modern physics, which is not included in the 5th edition. Additionally, the 6th edition has more practice problems and improved explanations for concepts.

2. Which edition is recommended for pGRE preparation?

Both editions are suitable for pGRE preparation, but the 6th edition may be more beneficial due to its updated content and additional practice problems. It also includes a chapter on modern physics, which is an important topic for the pGRE.

3. Are there significant differences in the difficulty level between the two editions?

Both editions cover the same concepts and principles, so the difficulty level is similar. However, the 6th edition may have more challenging problems due to its updated content and additional practice problems.

4. Can I use the 5th edition for pGRE preparation if I already have it?

Yes, the 5th edition is still a valuable resource for pGRE preparation. However, it may be beneficial to supplement with additional practice problems from the 6th edition or other study materials to ensure you are fully prepared for the exam.

5. Is there a significant price difference between the two editions?

The price difference between the 5th and 6th editions may vary depending on where you purchase them. However, typically the 6th edition may be slightly more expensive due to its updated content and additional materials. It is important to compare prices and consider your budget before purchasing either edition.