How Can We Compare the Frequency and Wavelength of Gamma Rays and Visible Light?

• Thread starter Allen J
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frequency
In summary, the answer to the first question is that gamma rays have more energy than light, and this causes them to have a higher frequency. The answer to the second question is that violet light has the longest wavelength.
Allen J
Hi, I am trying to solve a couple of questiosn where I need to say whether gamma rays have a higher frequency than visible light or not. The answer is obviously yes(they mentioned it several times in the text), but they want me to explain my answer based on the relationship between energy and frequency. Maybe they're referring to E=hf, but I'm not really sure how I could show anything with that anyway.

The second question wants to know which has the longer wavelength. Of course, the frequency and the wavelength are proportional. I could simply say this, based on the first question. But is there a way to answer it "properly", rather than say, "If the frequency is low, the wavelength is long; if the frequency is high, the wavelength is short" ?

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first question, I presume they mean gamma rays have more energy than light, therefore have higher frequency.

For the second, wavelength is inversely proportional to frequency.

Indeed, you can use E=hf. You'll have to know that gamma rays are much more energetic than visible light rays.

You know wavelength and frequency are inversely proportional. In fact, I`m sure you can state their precise relationship and deduce the answer from that. It doesn't get more proper than that.

Allen J said:
Hi, I am trying to solve a couple of questiosn where I need to say whether gamma rays have a higher frequency than visible light or not. The answer is obviously yes(they mentioned it several times in the text), but they want me to explain my answer based on the relationship between energy and frequency. Maybe they're referring to E=hf, but I'm not really sure how I could show anything with that anyway.

Look up the energies of gamma rays and of the highest energy visible rays (violet) in your book. Perhaps there's a table or an annotated spectrum diagram? So then you can compare E_visible = hf_visible to E_gamma = hf_gamma and see which is bigger, and conclude which has higher frequency. You don't need to know h, but just that it's the same h for both frequencies.

The second question wants to know which has the longer wavelength. Of course, the frequency and the wavelength are proportional. I could simply say this, based on the first question. But is there a way to answer it "properly", rather than say, "If the frequency is low, the wavelength is long; if the frequency is high, the wavelength is short" ?

The relationship of frequency to wavelength is frequency = c/wavelength. Think of it this way; suppose the readiation was just successive spikes, like pickets of a picket fence going by you at a speed of c; one foot per nanosecond. Then the number of pickets per nanosecond going past is just the speed divided by the distance between them in feet. If they were half as far apart there'd be twice as many going by per nanosecond. Dimensionally, speed = length/time, and wavelength is length, so the quotient is 1/time {"per nanosecond"), which is the correct dimension for a frequency.

So you use that formula, freq = c/wavelength, to relate the frequency answer of the first question to the wavelength answer of the second one.

Last edited:

1. What is frequency and how is it measured?

Frequency is the number of occurrences of a repeating event per unit of time. It is typically measured in hertz (Hz), which represents the number of cycles per second.

2. What is the relationship between frequency and wavelength?

Frequency and wavelength are inversely related. This means that as frequency increases, wavelength decreases, and vice versa.

3. Which has a higher frequency, sound or light?

Light has a higher frequency than sound. The frequency of light ranges from about 430 trillion Hz for red light to 750 trillion Hz for violet light, while the frequency of sound ranges from 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz.

4. How does frequency affect the properties of waves?

The higher the frequency of a wave, the more energy it carries. This can affect the properties of the wave, such as its amplitude and speed.

5. What are some real-world applications of frequency?

Frequency has a wide range of applications in various fields, including telecommunications, electronics, medicine, and astronomy. It is used to transmit and receive signals, diagnose medical conditions, and study the properties of objects in space.