Comparing Entropy: Equally Distributed Universe vs. Black Hole Universe

• Thread starter Blahness
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Entropy
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of entropy and its relation to the distribution of matter and energy in the universe. There is a comparison between a universe with uniformly distributed matter and energy and one with a black hole, which has maximum entropy. It is argued that in order for entropy to increase, energy must be provided, such as in the formation of a black hole. The conversation also mentions the role of external energy in decreasing entropy.
Blahness
A universe where all matter and energy is equally distributed, or a universe where all matter and energy is in 1 spot(Universe = black hole)?

Science news on Phys.org
a black has maximun entropy and the big bang where everything is equally apart has the lowest entropy possible

Think of the air in a room with no interior walls in the room. Which condition has greater entropy: (a) all of the air in compressed into a small portion of the room, the remaining portion being vacuum, or (b) the air uniformly distributed throughout the room. The answer is (b), not (a). The room with the air uniformly distributed is in a much more random state than is the room with the air concentrated in a small subvolume.

but a black hole is different; if u could then u could just throw the air in the black hole and reduce the amount of entropy in the universe. and in order for entropy to increase, the big bang where everything is uniform must have the lowest entropy

That means energy has to be provided for the formation of Black Hole? Am I correct? I sense some mistake.

vaishakh said:
That means energy has to be provided for the formation of Black Hole? Am I correct? I sense some mistake.
What do you mean by providing energy?

Oh sorry.
I mean if a change has to occur on a system where the entropy decreases, then some external energy has to be provided. similarly some energy has to be provided for the formationof black hole since the entropy increases due to the formation of a black hole.
I assume that you understand my doubt. I don't know to make much more clearer than this.

1. What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. It is a concept used in physics, chemistry, and information theory to describe the amount of energy that is unavailable to do work.

2. How does entropy relate to the universe?

In the context of the universe, entropy can be seen as a measure of the overall disorder or randomness of the system. As the universe expands and evolves, entropy tends to increase, leading to a more disordered state.

3. What is the difference between an equally distributed universe and a black hole universe in terms of entropy?

In an equally distributed universe, entropy is evenly spread out and there is no central point of high density or low entropy. In a black hole universe, however, entropy is concentrated in a single point of infinite density and zero entropy, known as a singularity.

4. Which universe has a higher entropy?

In general, a black hole universe would have a higher entropy compared to an equally distributed universe. This is because the singularity at the center of a black hole has the maximum possible entropy for a given volume, while an equally distributed universe has a more spread out and lower overall entropy.

5. How does the concept of entropy affect our understanding of the universe?

The concept of entropy is important in understanding the evolution and fate of the universe. It helps to explain the second law of thermodynamics, which states that entropy tends to increase over time. This has implications for the eventual "heat death" of the universe and the formation and behavior of structures such as galaxies and black holes.