1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which has the smallest radius?

1. Oct 14, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    which has the smallest atomic radius: cl-, k+, Ar

2. Relevant equations
    none

3. The attempt at a solution
    i thought it was argon, but im not sure because it does have the most protons to bringin the electrons. please someone reply soon!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2008 #2
    The radius of an atom is determined by its overall size and its electronegativity, but in this case the atoms are very similar in size. Chlorine is more electronegative and will pull its electrons in more, decreasing its radius. Potassium is very weakly electronegative, and would rather extend its electrons outward, increasing its radius. Argon is noble, and just sits in between.

4. Oct 15, 2008 #3
    are you sure about this answer? i dont doubt you or anything, im just making sure before i engrave this logic into my brain.

5. Oct 15, 2008 #4
    i think its argon or potassium because they have the more protons and thus greater attractions. cl- is out for sure. it cant be right sorry

6. Oct 15, 2008 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Note all three have the same number of electrons - they differ only by the nucleus charge. The higher the nucles charge, the stronger the attraction.

7. Oct 15, 2008 #6
    Yes, I second to Borek answer.

The logic is simple. Positive (nucleus) attract negative (electrons).

So which is more in each atom? Positively charged species? Negatively charged species?

8. Oct 15, 2008 #7
    Ah, I didn't even notice that the charges were the same!

9. Oct 16, 2008 #8

Borek

Charges are not the same, number of electrons is.

10. Oct 16, 2008 #9
    Of course; my mind has been a bit flighty the past few weeks. I guess I'll stop trying to help!

11. Oct 16, 2008 #10

Borek

No need for that, just slow down when replying :smile: I am hitting the same wall now and again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?