Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which is Better: Cats or dogs?

1. Aug 5, 2006 #1
    Which is Better: Cats or dogs???????

this a veery hard question thats been around for decades....

which is better:
    Cats or dogs???

im a dog person my self but i like cats

and y do dogs chase cats??:confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2006 #2

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

cats rule.
    dogs drool.
    :smile:

4. Aug 5, 2006 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I second that!!!!

5. Aug 5, 2006 #4

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Dogs. They actually want to be part of the family.

Cats are almost animated ornaments. They can be interesting to watch, but if they didn't need food, I think they'd prefer not to interact with people at all. (I'd make an exception for our calico - she needs someone to flick paper wads for her to chase and will even bring them back so you can flick it again - I'd almost say she's playing fetch, except the dog is proud of herself when she brings back a ball, while the cat acts more like it's just reloading the pitching machine.)

My dog doesn't chase cats. Mainly because the cats just give my dog a disdainful glare and sit there. Not much fun to chase a cat that won't run. In fact, I'm almost ashamed to admit, but I think my dog might be just a little afraid of our cats. When we first got our dog, she wanted a human between her and the cats and refused to even look at them. She's gotten used to them and even has a little curiosity about them, but she's not about to mess with them.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2006
  6. Aug 5, 2006 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

and fruitbats rock!

7. Aug 5, 2006 #6

wolram

Gold Member

Benji rocks, cats are unfaithfull; criters.

8. Aug 5, 2006 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A dog will love any good master, but a cat's love must be earned.

Cats are independant but they can also be incredibly affectionate. We have one that kisses my wife and I good night [a tooth drag on the head]. We had another that would fall asleep with us while holding my hand with its paws. All but two of nine have been total lovers.

We love dogs as well.

9. Aug 5, 2006 #8

Evo

The fruitbat is part cat.

Cats are EXTREMELY affectionate, my cats all crave love and affection.

10. Aug 5, 2006 #9

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just like the love of Marge's sisters on the Simpsons has to be earned, right? :rofl:

Our cats are evil, mean, and probably smoke cigarettes when we're not home.

That black cat that I took the picture of thinks it owns the furniture in our house. If you push it out of the chair so you can sit down, she'll try to jump back in before you can sit down. About the only time she sits with me is when I do beat the cat into the chair. She's going to sit there one way or the other no matter who she has to associate with.

11. Aug 5, 2006 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, they're all evil. We once caught our dogs sneaking out late at night. They would wait until we were asleep and then sneak past the window so that they could go chase cattle. Someone here at PF once said that his had learned to lift its toenails so that they wouldn't click on the floor when sneaking in to steal cat food.

And yes, the cats lie like politicians.

12. Aug 5, 2006 #11

Evo

:rofl: :rofl:

13. Aug 5, 2006 #12

Astronuc

I'm more or less a cat person. I seem to have a good rapport with cats, even strange cats. I stayed with the president of my company and their cat eventually came over and sat near me. He said she had never done that to any stranger before, and not even with friends about.

Our male cat, Chester, sleeps by my side at night, and when I am away, I roams the house waiting for me to return. My wife knows when I am about to arrive home, because Chester runs to the door to greet me. Chester gets fairly active between 0500 and 0600, and parades backwards and forwards on my side of the bed meowing. Sometimes he gets insistent and pulls the covers or reaches under the covers with his claws to try and pull me out of bed. I'm not kidding. Our female cat, Misty, usually gets on the bed about that time and she nuzzles my hand or arm. Feeding time is about 0600, which is about the time the dog needs to go outside.

Misty likes back rubs, so she occassionally seeks me out, comes over and stand on her back legs with her front paws on my thy. She holds on with her claws while I give her a vigorous backrub from her neck to her tail. She also like her jowls rubbed too.

One of my older cats, Pepper, used to ride on my shoulders or back. She also slept by my side every night. I still miss her.

Our family also has a dog (female Yorkshire terrier) - we always seem to have a dog. Chester strongly dislikes the dog, but Misty is friendly to the dog, except when dog gets excited and starts licking the cat.

14. Aug 5, 2006 #13
    For the record and in my experience dogs will chase anything, I used to have a dog that would chase horses, nearly got killed by one that kicked at him once, didn't stop him, my current dog chases flies, mice, rabbits, pheasants( so I'm told, once got invited on a pheasant shoot) but not cats, when my cat was still around he ruled his arse, so the dog was scared of him.

Cats and dogs are both equally fantastic for different reasons, most of which people have already said. The perfect animal would be a cog or a dat, loyal, protective, doesn't take s**t from anyone, independant, loving.

Anyone ever seen a cat catch a fly, funniest thing ever, they don't know what to do with it at first(wow I caught one for a change ermm) Then instinct kicks in and they eat it. I saw my dog take one out of mid air on the leap once, truly awesome :biggrin:

15. Aug 5, 2006 #14

Astronuc

Our cats catch moths and other insects. We don't have too many flies, but the moths find a way in.

The dog chases rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks and voles, and now apparently we have a mole in the yard. The dog just goes nuts following the scent trails. Occassionally, the dog catches and kills a chipmunk or voll.

The cats will now and then catch a mouse, which is usually in the fall when they migrate to our garage, or try to. The cats hang out near the places where mice might show up.

16. Aug 5, 2006 #15
    watching cats hunt small vermine is really interesting, they start off totally incompetent but after a while they're so skillful, then they catch their first bird and you know there status as the ultimate small killing machine is unquestioned. It's like watching a nature program, animals are fascinating as well as being great companions. A cats dexterity and speed though is a wonder to behold.

EDIT: also did you know that a cats muscle to bone ratio is the highest of any mammal, which is why they can leap 7ft straight up, especially when chased by a dog :smile:

17. Aug 5, 2006 #16

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Late at night? Sounds like they were going cow-tipping!

18. Aug 5, 2006 #17
    I let flies in the house on purpose to provide a little entertainment for my cats. Chasing flies is something all three of mine enjoy! One of my cats has ocular albinism and can't see very well. She chases the flies by sound.....doesn't usually catch one but has fun trying.

19. Aug 5, 2006 #18

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Cool. She's hunting "Owl Style". :smile:

[​IMG]
    In total darkness a barn owl swoops down on a mouse.

Photo: Masakau Konishi, California Institute of Technology
    http://www.hhmi.org/senses/c210.html

20. Aug 5, 2006 #19

21. Aug 5, 2006 #20
    wouldnt this be beter as a poll

i, myself like neither (i dont believe we should have pets, they are animals - sposed to be wild), but would rather have a dog, a huge one that would maul things and that, as long as it didnt live inside and was indifferent to me -ie wasnt soft and cudly, but wasnt dangerous to me

cats are just to fury and would set my asthma and exzma and allergy off, so i would just die. i used to own 2 cats, but they went to cat heven once i developed the alergy, it was a big barn somewhere along a back road, like a rescue center or sumthin

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?