Which is Better: Cats or dogs?

• Thread starter Care_Bear13
  • Start date
Mickey said:
Dogs have way better social skills!

Well, aside form their occasionally mauling people.
My Ragdoll cat is very sociable! She has never met a stranger. She will follow the pest control guy around the house until he stops and speaks to her. When the doorbell rings she comes running to greet the new person at the door. My other two cats are very sweet once they know you are safe.

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
There is always a misconception that cats are aloof and not really interested in you or other people but from my experience with them I think this is very unfair. I believe a lot of it is to do with how you think about cats because they're very good at sensing what people are all about as soon as they walk in a room for example. If a cat senses that somebody is not too fond then of course its not going to bother whereas a dog will get excited for almost anybody regardless.

Anyway, my vote is for cats (although I have both a cat and a dog) because they're a lot more interesting and once you work out their body language and can communicate with them well they have a lot of love to offer minus the smelliness and high maintainence of a dog. I guess I'm just lazy :biggrin:

Always remember cat body language, people who are very scared of cats or dislike them tend to turn their heads or bodies and not to look at them, cats take this as: hello I'm being polite, come over to me if you like, where as people who see a cat and stare directly at it making eye to eye contact, this says to a cat: I am rude and don't have much social grace.

Look at the way cats behave towards each other, the only time they stare at each other or maintain eye contact for more than an instant is when they are about to fight, and they tend to close their eyes at other cats to show they are amenable.

So if you think a cats being mean by bothering a person who seriously dislikes cats, it's not and if you want to approach an unfamilliar cat and get friendly, don't whatever you do maintain extended eye contact, the cat will most likely just run off considering you a threat as you approach, but of course it depends alot on individual animals, it's a good rule of thumb though.

About 8 years ago when I was doing part time summer postal work I found I could approach most cats by obeying their ettiquette, some I could even pet even though they'd never met me before. I was a regular Dr Dolittle :smile: Dogs on the other hand are simple,they will either bark and growl or be all over strangers depending on their masters reactions, as a defauilt if their master is not present they generally growl and act aggressively, although not always, depends on the breed alot.

Last edited:
turbo
Gold Member
So true about the cat body language. If you ignore a cat and look askance at it, it is likely to come to you and get acquainted. I found this out the hard way. I was never fond of cats, and since I am somewhat allergic to them, I would try to avoid them, and invariably, they would jump on my lap or rub against me, purring like I was made of catnip. Finally, I figured out that staring them down made them keep their distance, so I could visit my cat-loving friends without getting too itchy.

My sister and brother-in-law had a beautiful Golden Retriever named Ochre (her grandfather had been the Canadian field trials champ), and after they sold off her first litter of pups, she was depressed. My sister got a kitten and they named him Coonie. (Yes he was a Maine Coon cat - so original!) Anyway, Ochre took care of that little fellow like he was her own, shared her food, gave him tongue baths, etc just like the pups. She lugged him around by the head when she wanted to move him, and they always slept together. Even when he was full grown, Al would say "Ochre, where's Coonie?" and she would dash off looking around the house for him and retrieve him, holding his head in her mouth. Coonie always went limp and accepted the transport quietly, but when he was "delivered" to Al, he had to compose himself and groom out some of the dog saliva. Hilarious.

I find it very hard to compare animals, they have such different mannors and moods. I enjoy the company of both cats and dogs, and respect them for there differences.

hypatia said:
I find it very hard to compare animals, they have such different mannors and moods. I enjoy the company of both cats and dogs, and respect them for there differences.
That's the right answer.

Now tell us what you really think. :smile:

No he is called Mufi (witch could loosly be translated from sloven as somehing warm and fluffy:rolleyes: ).

phibonacci
I am much more fond of cats than dogs. Cats seem to possess a superior intelligence than dogs. Though, the ferret is my favorite pet.

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
It's official (anything with a poll to back it up has to be official, which is the main thing missing from this thread).

In order, the family member other family members feel closest to:

Dog - 94%
Mom - 87%
Cat - 84%
Dad - 74%

And that's why I hate those cats! Surely I should be able to beat out someone on the list! :grumpy:

http://www.pewtrusts.org/pdf/PRC_social_pets_0306.pdf [Broken] (it's down around page 4 and 5).

Last edited by a moderator:
I love all kinds of animals, but I get no end of emotional awe for seeing-eye dogs, search and rescue dogs, or dogs that sniff out explosives, or drugs, or... cancer!

Is there anything they can't protect us from? :*)

Last edited:
Evo
Mentor
The "seeing eye" cat program had to be canceled after numerous instances of people being dragged between fence pickets and up trees, not to mention sudden bursts of speed due to spotting a bird.

Luckily all human volunteers were released with only minor injuries after a brief hospital visit.

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Evo said:
The "seeing eye" cat program had to be canceled after numerous instances of people being dragged between fence pickets and up trees, not to mention sudden bursts of speed due to spotting a bird.

Luckily all human volunteers were released with only minor injuries after a brief hospital visit.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

phibonacci
Evo said:

LOL :tongue:

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What about those poor cats that get moulded into new roads and highways with only their eyes sticking out just so we know where the lines are in the dark? :cry:

Lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Can a cat dance?

http://www.k9-freestylers.com/carolyn.html [Broken] (to see video, click on "click here", oddly enough)

I rest my case. :rofl:

BobG said:
Can a cat dance?:
No, but cats direct the dancing of a WHOLE bunch of pink monkeys.

I go for dogs. They're always fun to have around and they are a lot more affectionate than any cat I've ever had. They're so much easier to train than cats as well.

I also can't abide the cat piss smell. Even when you get a cat to piss outside the smell hangs around in the garden.

Cats are amusing at times though, but I've always seen cats as animals that give false affection. In fact cats remind me of a pompous aristocrat. You know they use you to get what they want and look down on you.

I say all this bad stuff about cats, but I do like cats and have enjoyed having them as pets in the past.

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
BobG said:
Can a cat dance?

http://www.k9-freestylers.com/carolyn.html [Broken] (to see video, click on "click here", oddly enough)

I rest my case. :rofl:

Oh, yeah? Take http://www.almostamazing.com/moviekittycatdance.htm" [Broken], BobG!

hmmph!! :approve:

i see people in US seem to like Cats more....
i guess right here in my country cats as pets may be very extremely rare.....atleast i haven't seen anyone keeping cats......but dogs are very common as pets here!

Soilwork said:
I go for dogs. They're always fun to have around and they are a lot more affectionate than any cat I've ever had. They're so much easier to train than cats as well.

I also can't abide the cat piss smell. Even when you get a cat to piss outside the smell hangs around in the garden.

Cats are amusing at times though, but I've always seen cats as animals that give false affection. In fact cats remind me of a pompous aristocrat. You know they use you to get what they want and look down on you.

I say all this bad stuff about cats, but I do like cats and have enjoyed having them as pets in the past.
Only male cats smell like that.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Soilwork said:
Well dog urine smells too. At least cats bury their scat, or try to anyways. :rolleyes:

Evo
Mentor
I think he's referring to the "spraying" that male cats use to mark their territory.