1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which is harder to crack?

Tags:
  1. Sep 19, 2014 #1
    Is it harder to crack a smaller screen or a larger screen? Why? For example, if I hit an iPhone with a hammer, would it break more or less than if I did the same to an iPad? Would it change which is more safe if I put a screen protector on?

The force would be the same in both cases but it would be spread out more in the case of the iPad right? Or would the force spread out the same except the iPad might have less support near the center causing it to crack more easily?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2014 #2
    Just a guess, but I'd imagine the smaller screen would be stiffer for a given thickness, thus harder to crack...all other things being equal...which may not be the case.

4. Sep 19, 2014 #3

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Since the top layer of the screen is supported by underlying layers, I think the flexibility of the screen would be a minor factor. I'd expect both a large and small screen to withstand similar blows before cracking. I'd expect this to hold true until one screen is MUCH larger than the other and the flexibility becomes a bigger factor. But that's just my guess.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook