Which is larger? the weight or the force?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between weight and force in physics, specifically when throwing a ball upward. The weight of an object is a measure of the force of gravity acting on it, but the net force acting on an object can be greater than its weight, as seen when throwing a ball upward. The net force is what determines the object's acceleration, not just its weight.
Francis Oliver
Hello, I just started physics about a month ago and I’m having a bit of trouble. It may seem silly but I just have a hard time wrapping my mind around the concept of comparing amount of weight to amount of force.
So anyway my question is while you throw a ball upward, which is larger: the weight of the ball or your upward force on the ball?
Thank you very much for any assistance you can offer.

Physics news on Phys.org
The total force on the ball is its weight (mg) plus any other force on it. When the ball is in your hand as you throw it up, you apply an upward force greater than mg so that there is a net acceleration, giving it an upward velocity. As soon as you let go, the only force acting on it is gravity (ignoring air resistance, which just acts to slow it down whatever direction its going). The net force is down, and the ball accelerates downward until it loses its upward velocity and begins to fall back down to earth.

Also, to clarify the weight of an object is a measure of the force of gravity acting on it.

A 1lb object has mass 0.45kg

The force of gravity on a 0.45 kg is 0.45*9.8 = 4.45N

So you get the conversion factor for the force of gravity,

1lb = 4.45N (only on Earth).

An object always WEIGHS the same (again, on Earth) but the net FORCE acting on it is independant of that. For example, if I'm holding a 1lb object in my hand the net force on it is zero, however it doesn't weigh 0 lbs, it weighs 1lb.

Cool?

I think perhaps whozum did not mean independant in the sense that the weight has no bearing on the net force. For if this were the case, his arm would require 0 force to hold the mass in the air.

I preume he meant that the net force of an object is not solely determined by the weight of an object. In your example, the ball is moving upwards, therefore the upwards force is greater, as it is OVERCOMING the gravitational force pulling the object down

-NewScientist

If you are simply holding the ball, at rest, the force you are applying to the ball is equal to the weight of the ball. Throwing it upward, you are giving the ball an acceleration so the force must be greater than the weight of the ball.

Thank you HallsOfIvy for expressing my idea far better than I could!

-NewScientist

NewScientist said:
Thank you HallsOfIvy for expressing my idea far better than I could!

-NewScientist
No, I'm just "simpler" than you are!

1. What is the difference between weight and force?

The weight of an object is the measure of the force of gravity acting on it, while force is a broader term that refers to any push or pull on an object. Weight is a type of force, specifically the force of gravity, but force can also be caused by other factors such as friction or a person pushing an object.

2. Which is larger, weight or force?

In most cases, weight is larger than force because it is a specific type of force that takes into account the mass of an object and the acceleration due to gravity. However, there are instances where force can be larger than weight, such as when an object is being pushed or pulled with a greater force than the force of gravity acting on it.

3. How is weight measured?

Weight is typically measured using a scale, which measures the force exerted by an object due to gravity. In the metric system, weight is measured in kilograms, and in the imperial system, it is measured in pounds.

4. Can weight and force be equal?

Yes, weight and force can be equal in certain situations. For example, if an object is at rest on a flat surface, the force of gravity pulling down on the object is equal to the force of the surface pushing up on the object, resulting in a net force of 0.

5. How does weight and force affect motion?

Weight and force play a crucial role in the motion of objects. According to Newton's second law of motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that a greater weight or force will result in a greater acceleration, while a larger mass will result in a smaller acceleration.