1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which is Less Material Given Deflection due to Force?

1. Nov 10, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You are considering two different designs for a walking cane. Both designs use hollow metal tubes, but design A has a circular cross section (outer diameter h) whereas design B has a square cross section (outer width and length h). Both canes are designed to withstand an end deflection of exactly 5mm with 2kN of force applied to one end, normal to the force, while the other end is held fixed. Show which design will require less material to meet these specifications.

2. Relevant equations

Deflection with a circular cross section = (4FL^3)/(3Epir^4)

Deflection with a rectangular cross section = (4FL^3)/Eh^3B

I = ∫∫r2dA

Icircle = πR4/4

Irectangle = h3/12

d = (FL3)/(3EI)

3. The attempt at a solution

Deflection with a rectangular cross section = (4FL^3)/Eh^3B

5000 = (4(2000)L^3)/(Eh^4)

L^3 = (5000Eh^4)/8000

Deflection with a circular cross section = (4FL^3)/(3Epir^4)

5000 = (4(2000)L^3)/(3Epi(h/2)^4)

((5000)(3Epi)(1/16)h^4)/(8000) = L^3

Therefore ((L_r)^3)(3pi/16) = ((L_c)^3), so the circular cross section will require less material.

My solution assumes that there is a relationship between volume and surface area. Is this assumption okay? Did I use the correct formulas? Should I have done something different to take into account that the canes are hollow?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2014 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted