Is x +/- 3 the most simplified form for x + 3, x - 3?

• Thread starter GreenPrint
  • Start date
In summary, the question is asking if x +/- 3 is more simplified than writing it out as x + 3, x - 3. The person responding believes that the first option is more simplified, but acknowledges that there may be cases where the second option is easier to read. They also suggest putting both answers on the assignment if there is any doubt.
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

x +/- 3
is that mroe simplified then writing it out
x + 3, x - 3
I thought it would be becaue we normally say simple is when all of the operations that could be done is done in which case the second choice is more simple? I'm just woundering because I'm doing a summer assignment and have no idea if this teacher is a real jerk in grading and would mark it wrong if I put the first one done becaue it's not as simple as possible if it's not as simple as can be...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I would go for x +/- 3 as being more simplified, but I would find it hard to believe that anyone would really quibble about a difference between that and x + 3, x - 3.

I would say the first is more simplified, but there are other cases where I would assume it's easier to read the separated version, for example:

[tex]2x-3y\pm(5x+3y)[/tex]

versus

[tex]7x, -3x-6y[/tex]

I would go with the second for this case, but for yours I would stick with the first case.

I think this really depends on what the information is being used for.

If the problem involves one answer, for instance, a man throwing a ball off a building (graphing a parabola), the quadratic formula would work out to the two X intercepts, but only one would be correct. In that case X=1 would be the simplified answer.

If you really have any doubt, I would just put both answers down on the assignment. I really doubt anyone would put both possibilities on a multiple choice assignment.

What is meant by "more simplified"?

"More simplified" refers to something that has been made easier to understand or use by removing unnecessary complexity or details.

How do you determine which is more simplified?

The level of simplicity is subjective and can vary depending on the context. One way to determine which is more simplified is by evaluating the level of complexity or detail present in each option and comparing them.

Why is simplicity important in science?

Simplicity is important in science because it allows for easier understanding and communication of complex ideas and theories. It also helps to eliminate any potential sources of error or confusion.

Is more simplified always better?

Not necessarily. In some cases, additional complexity or detail may be necessary for accuracy or to fully understand a concept. It is important to find a balance between simplicity and accuracy in order to effectively convey scientific information.

How can we simplify complex scientific concepts?

There are various methods for simplifying complex scientific concepts, such as breaking them down into smaller, more manageable parts, using analogies or visual aids, and using simple and concise language. It is also important to consider the audience and their level of understanding when simplifying scientific concepts.