1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which is pion(0) makeup?

1. Mar 18, 2006 #1
    In my book (Greiner's Quantum Mechanics, vol2, symmetries) says after calculation with Clebsch-Gordan coefficients,

[tex]|\pi^0\rangle = \frac 1 2 (u\uparrow \overline{u} \downarrow + d\uparrow \overline{d} \downarrow - u\downarrow \overline{u} \uparrow - d\downarrow \overline{d} \uparrow ),[/tex]

And I confirmed it.

Ignoring spin, It's [tex]|\pi^0\rangle = \frac 1 {\sqrt{2}} (u \overline{u} + d \overline{d})[/tex]

However, some sites denote, it's the same: the sum (ex, this one, but others denote it's different; minus sign (ex. this one).

I wonder which is correct. I konw Internet resource is sometimes incorrect. And the latter is wiki... Or they mean the same? because [tex]u \overline{u}[/tex] and [tex]d \overline{d}[/tex] are orthogonal.

But if I do [tex]\hat{T_-}|\pi^+}\rangle = \hat{T_-}u\overline{d} = \frac 1 {\sqrt{2}} (u\overline{u} + d\overline{d}),[/tex] only plus is correct. (phase is ignored and each hand is normalized.)

So will anyone give me any hint which is correct or both are correct? I think at least plus is correct.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2006 #2

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That sign is different in different books.
    Many times the sign doesn't matter in a particular calculation if yhou are consistent throughout.
    I think the minus sign is more common.
    That is related to the common usage that charge conservation turns the d into -dbar (if I remember it correctly).
    The Ispin doublet for the antiquarks is (ubar,-dbar).
    Just be consistent in whatever you do.
    I think the sign is only important in getting the G parity right.

4. Mar 19, 2006 #3
    Thank you for the reply. I don't understand exactly what you mean right now (why ispin doublet for the antiquarks is [tex](\overline u,-\overline d)[/tex]. In my understanding, it's [tex](\overline u, \overline d)[/tex] and it must make difference), but I'll proceed keeping it in mind, because I don't have a book denoting minus explicitly...

Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?