Which is the best book for getting in-depth knowledge of Electrical Machines?

In summary: However, I have also seen some good books on electrical machines such as Electrical Machines by Nagrath-Kothari and Stephen Chapman which will give you a very good understanding of the concepts without going into too much mathematical details.
Manoj Sahu
Hi. I am preparing for IES (Indian Engineering Services ) exam. I have basic knowledge of electrical machines both ac and dc. For the examination point of view I need to have in depth knowledge of each and every topic in electrical machines (both ac and dc). Can you suggest me some really good book which have an extensively detailed information of electrical machine?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nagrath-Kothari and Stephen Chapman would be good for conceptual understanding. Electrical Machines by B.L. Theraja would be good for practising a variety of numerical problems. These are easily available in India.

Plus, I believe @jim hardy's content here about machinery is equivalent to a whole book (full of interesting anecdotes!). It would definitely help if you go through it.

Good luck for IES!

Likes jim hardy
Gosh, cnh, thanks for the kind words !

Likes cnh1995
Chapman book is perhaps the widely used standard text on this subject.

I prefer the textbooks by P.C. Krause on this subject.

Manoj Sahu said:
Hi. I am preparing for IES (Indian Engineering Services ) exam. I have basic knowledge of electrical machines both ac and dc. For the examination point of view I need to have in depth knowledge of each and every topic in electrical machines (both ac and dc). Can you suggest me some really good book which have an extensively detailed information of electrical machine?

I think there are courses online that will serve this purpose. But if you want books in particular, I think it is best to refer textbooks that some experienced professor recommends since he/she will know a lot about the topic.

Speaking personally, I prefer the series of books by P.C. Krause and his associates at Purdue University. They are very well done from a mathematical perspective, and have some great Matlab graphics.

Last year I appeared for IES Exam and passed the exam. I prefer the Text Book of Electrical Technology - Book by B.L. Theraja and Electric Machinery Fundamentals - Book by Stephen J. Chapman. These books give you in-depth knowledge of the Electrical machine.

1. What are the key factors to consider when choosing a book for learning about Electrical Machines?

When selecting a book for in-depth knowledge of electrical machines, it is important to consider the content, author's expertise, level of detail, relevance to your specific field, and reviews from other readers.

2. Can you recommend a specific book for beginners in the field of Electrical Machines?

One highly recommended book for beginners is "Electric Machinery Fundamentals" by Stephen J. Chapman. It provides a comprehensive introduction to the principles and applications of electrical machines.

3. Are there any books that cover both theory and practical applications of Electrical Machines?

Yes, "Electric Machines: Analysis and Design Applying MATLAB" by Jim Cathey covers both theory and practical applications of electrical machines, using MATLAB as a tool for analysis and design.

4. Do you have any suggestions for advanced learners who want to deepen their knowledge of Electrical Machines?

A great book for advanced learners is "Electric Machines: Theory, Operation, Applications, Adjustment, and Control" by Charles I. Hubert. It covers advanced topics such as modeling, control, and optimization of electrical machines.

5. Is there a book that covers the latest developments and advancements in Electrical Machines?

"Electric Machines and Drives: Principles, Control, Modeling and Simulation" by Shaahin Filizadeh covers the latest developments and advancements in electrical machines, including renewable energy applications and power electronics control.