Identifying the Strongest Base: Comparing NH2-, OH-, Cl-, NH3, and I-

• Thread starter Sandman327
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Base
In summary, the conversation discusses the strength of different species as bases. The options given are NH2-, OH-, Cl-, NH3, and I-. The participants agree that Cl- is a weak base. One participant suggests that NH2- may be the strongest base because it is most likely to receive a proton compared to the other options. However, another participant asks for clarification on how this determination was made.
Sandman327

Homework Statement

Which of the following species is the strongest base?
A. NH2-
B. OH-
C. Cl-
D. NH3
E. I-

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok I know that Cl- is a very weak base so I know it is not that one for sure. I want to say that the answer is NH2- because it is the most likely to receive a proton as compared to the others but can someone please let me know if my thought process is right here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks OK.

--

How did you determine that NH2- was more likely to receive a proton than OH-?

I assume that NH2- is actually NH2- ?

1. What is the definition of a strong base?

A strong base is a substance that completely dissociates in water, producing a high concentration of hydroxide ions (OH-) and a low concentration of hydrogen ions (H+). This results in a pH greater than 7.

2. How is the strength of a base determined?

The strength of a base is determined by its ability to accept protons (H+) from an acid. The stronger the base, the more readily it accepts protons and the higher its equilibrium constant (Kb) will be.

3. What is the strongest base known to science?

The strongest base known to science is lithium hydroxide (LiOH). It has a Kb value of 2.3 x 10^-12, making it a very strong base.

4. How does the strength of a base affect its reactivity?

The strength of a base directly affects its reactivity. Strong bases are highly reactive and can react with acids to form water and a salt. They can also react with certain metals to produce hydrogen gas.

5. Are all strong bases equally dangerous?

No, the strength of a base does not necessarily determine its level of danger. Some strong bases, such as sodium hydroxide (NaOH), can be extremely corrosive and dangerous if not handled properly. However, other strong bases, like calcium hydroxide (Ca(OH)2), are commonly used in everyday products and are not considered highly dangerous.