Which Law should i use to analyze this circuit ?

• Engineering
  • Thread starter bibo_dvd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit Law
In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with a total resistance of 5 ohms and a total current of 16 A. The currents of I3, I9, and I8 are also given, but the individual's question is how to calculate the current of I8 and which law should be used for this calculation. The conversation then goes into using KCL to solve the circuit, with the individual struggling to understand how to apply it. Another person suggests using the principle that current divides itself between parallel branches in proportion to the conductance of the branch. The conversation ends with the suggestion to write KCL equations for each node and solve them simultaneously to find all the currents.
bibo_dvd
Which Law should i use to analyze this circuit ??

Hello Guys !

Sorry i have many questions because iam not a professional in this ..

My Question is :

in this photo i found that the total Resistance is : 5 ohm
and
the total current is 16 A
and
I3 = I9 = 4 A
and I8= 1 A

I can't understand how to count I8 and Which Law should be used to get it ??

8ntRG9Q.png

Thanks Guys ! :))

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bibo_dvd said:
Hello Guys !

Sorry i have many questions because iam not a professional in this ..

My Question is :

in this photo i found that the total Resistance is : 5 ohm
and
the total current is 16 A
and
I3 = I9 = 4 A
and I8= 1 A

I can't understand how to count I8 and Which Law should be used to get it ??

8ntRG9Q.png

Thanks Guys ! :))

How did you come to believe that the total resistance is 5 Ohms? Resistance between where and where?

And how did you calculate those currents? Please show us your work in detail.

I would use KCL to analyze this circuit. Can you write out the KCL equations and show us how you solve them simultaneously?

okay ..

R′= R4 || R5 ||(R7+ R8) = 4 Ω ||8 Ω ||(6 Ω+ 2 Ω) = 4 Ω ||8 Ω ||8 Ω= 4 Ω ||4 Ω= 2 Ω
R′ ′ = (R3+ R′) ||(R6+ R9) = (8 Ω+ 2 Ω) ||(6 Ω+ 4 Ω) = 10 Ω ||10 Ω= 5 Ω
RT= R1 ||(R2+R′ ′ ) = 10 Ω ||(5 Ω+ 5 Ω) = 10 Ω ||10 Ω= 5 Ω

I=E/RT = 80/5=16A
I across R2=I/2 =8A
I3 = I9 = 4A

Then I8 is written to be 1 A
but i don't know how to get it

bibo_dvd said:
okay ..

R′= R4 || R5 ||(R7+ R8) = 4 Ω ||8 Ω ||(6 Ω+ 2 Ω) = 4 Ω ||8 Ω ||8 Ω= 4 Ω ||4 Ω= 2 Ω
R′ ′ = (R3+ R′) ||(R6+ R9) = (8 Ω+ 2 Ω) ||(6 Ω+ 4 Ω) = 10 Ω ||10 Ω= 5 Ω
RT= R1 ||(R2+R′ ′ ) = 10 Ω ||(5 Ω+ 5 Ω) = 10 Ω ||10 Ω= 5 Ω

I=E/RT = 80/5=16A
I across R2=I/2 =8A
I3 = I9 = 4A

Then I8 is written to be 1 A
but i don't know how to get it

What is the exact problem statement? What equivalent resistance are you asked to find?

okay .. this is the exact question and the exact statements which are required

mcPXgW9.png

i want to know how to get I8 because i don't know which law should i use to find ??

bibo_dvd said:
okay .. this is the exact question and the exact statements which are required

mcPXgW9.png

i want to know how to get I8 because i don't know which law should i use to find ??

In general, you use the KCL equations to solve a circuit like this. You cannot always rely on series/parallel combinations to solve this type of question.

Are you familiar with how to write KCL equations? Have you learned them yet?

We Didn't take applications on KCL yet but i tried to apply it on simple circuits and i found it easy

but i don't know how to apply it on this circuit so please tell me :))

bibo_dvd said:
We Didn't take applications on KCL yet but i tried to apply it on simple circuits and i found it easy

but i don't know how to apply it on this circuit so please tell me :))

This wikipedia page should help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirchhoff's_current_law#Kirchhoff.27s_current_law_.28KCL.29

Don't worry about the integral stuff near the beginning of the article. Focus on the simpler algebraic equations. You basically go to each node in the schematic, and you write an equation for that node that lists all of the currents going out of the node. You then solve all of those equations simultaneously to find all of the currents, and then use the currents to find any voltages that you need.

Have a look at the article and see if that helps. :smile:

Likes 1 person
okay iam trying to apply KCL by myself so please tell me

am i right or not ??

I3 = I4 + I5 +I7 + I8
so
4 A = 0.5 I8 + 0.25 I8 + (1/3) I8 +I8
so
I8 will be 3.7 A

i feel that I'm very stupid :shy:

i don't know the right way to apply KCL here

bibo_dvd said:
okay iam trying to apply KCL by myself so please tell me

am i right or not ??

I3 = I4 + I5 +I7 + I8
so
4 A = 0.5 I8 + 0.25 I8 + (1/3) I8 +I8
so
I8 will be 3.7 A

i feel that I'm very stupid :shy:

i don't know the right way to apply KCL here

To start writing the KCL equations, you must give each node a number. Call the bottom ground rail node 0. Call the top (negative terminal) of the voltage source node 1. Call the node to the right of R2 node 2. Call the node beloow R3 node 3. The two resistors on the right shouldn't be combined if they are asking about Vab, so call the node to the right of R6 node 4.

Then you write the resistor currents as the difference in the voltage across the resistor divided by the resistance. So you would write the KCL equation for node 1 like this:

-80V/R1 + I5 + (-80V - V2)/R2 = 0

Write the other KCL equations for nodes 2-4, and then solve the 4 equations for the unknown voltages. Once you have the voltages at each node in the circuit, you can calculate all the currents.

I don't know how you can get the answers you got and then not this. I think I have got it without writing anything down because they have used nice numbers that simplify it. You just need to use the fact that current divides itself between parallel branches in proportion to the conductance ( reciprocal of resistance) of the branch.

If I am not mistaken the current divides itself equally between the left and the right circuits. In the right circuit it again divides itself equally between the two branches after R2 (easier to think about the clockwise flow). So 4A flows through the R3 branch. That again divides itself half and half between the left resistor and the right pair, which again are equal, so 1A flows through the R7,8 branch.

Well check that, but use the principle I mentioned.

In general currents won't divide thenselves half-and-half as they did here because of the particular values of the conductances, but you can use whatever ratio the conductances of the parallel branches have.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person

1. What is Ohm's Law?

Ohm's Law states that the current through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the voltage across the two points, and inversely proportional to the resistance between them.

2. When should I use Kirchhoff's Laws?

Kirchhoff's Laws should be used when analyzing complex circuits with multiple loops and branches. They help to determine the voltage, current, and resistance at different points in the circuit.

3. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, all components are connected in a single loop, while in a parallel circuit, the components are connected in multiple branches. Series circuits have the same current flowing through each component, while parallel circuits have the same voltage across each branch.

4. How do I use the power equation to analyze a circuit?

The power equation, P=VI, can be used to calculate the power dissipated by each component in a circuit. It can also be used to determine the power supply needed for a circuit to function properly.

5. Can I use both Ohm's Law and Kirchhoff's Laws to analyze a circuit?

Yes, both laws can and should be used together to fully analyze a circuit. Ohm's Law can be used to calculate the voltage, current, and resistance of individual components, while Kirchhoff's Laws can be used to determine the overall behavior of the circuit.